Australia Travel Answers

change location

Can anyone help? Just a quick question

by julia111 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I will be visiting Sydney for 1 week. i want to know what is the minimum amount of money required at the point of entry for a short time visitor? or maybe a traveler's check.

I will appreciate any help or information about this.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Andraf's Profile Photo

Re: Can anyone help? Just a quick question

by Andraf Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:36 AM

When I was in Sydney nobody asked us about funds or anything of that sort when we entered the country. The idea is that you show that you have funds when you get the visa; or if you don't need the visa it is assumed that you're coming from a developed country and have the funds to support yourself. If you need a visa (your profile doesn't say where you're from) than I would carry all the documents that you used when you applied for the visa - usually there has to be a financial statement in there. Honestly all I had with me were credit/debit cards so if they asked me for money I would have shown that.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Answer is enough to support your stay, if asked. For a week min they would accept would be, at a complete guess $A100, per day. You will need to be able to say what you plan on doing here in the week, and where you plan staying. They will be trying to assess if you are really coming here to work or not - which is off course illegal if you are on a tourist visa.

Whether you will be asked depends where you are coming from, what you look like, age etc etc
    Do you have a credit card and a return ticket?

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Well, for a start- you will need a MINIMUM of A$100 per day for accommodation (unless you stay in a cheap backpacker accommodation)
    Food will cost at least $15-20 per day
    Then you will need transport money
    Sydney is an expensive city to visit,
    Agree that you might be asked to show proof of financial security on arrival. Be prepared.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Both times i entered Australia i was never asked to show my funds, even though i was staying 3 months on both occasions, but of course i had credit cards with me. Coming from Indonesia they were more interested in searching for drugs in my luggage.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM

For a tourist on a tourist visa, there isn't any minimum amount of money needed. This is only when you are coming here to work. As you are a tourist, you should have funds to support your say.
    As said, Sydney is expensive, I would allow around $150 a day for acc, public transport , buying things and sightseeing, depending on if your going to pay a lot of entry fees and what type of accommodation. Backpackers dorms approx. $45 night, Hotels, you can find a few from $85, but most are a lot more expensive than that.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM

wabat wrote:
    Answer is enough to support your stay, if asked. For a week min they would accept would be, at a complete guess $A100, per day. You will need to be able to say what you plan on doing here in the week, and where you plan staying. They will be trying to assess if you are really coming here to work or not - which is off course illegal if you are on a tourist visa.

Whether you will be asked depends where you are coming from, what you look like, age etc etc Do you have a credit card and a return ticket?

This is correct- Immigration are very strict. Many people come on a Tourist Visa, then end up staying here and trying to find work. (NOT suggesting at all that this is your position)  Just saying- be prepared if you are questioned. If you have credit cards,travellers cheques  or even a bank statement you will be fine.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Australia Travel Answer Locations