Australia Travel Answers

change location
sp1990's Profile Photo

accommodation?

by sp1990 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM

hi im looking to travel either the end of this year or next year.not really wanting to stay in a hostel,looking maybe to rent while working.is this possible?any advice would be most welcome :)

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • margsch's Profile Photo

Re: accommodation?

by margsch Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Yes renting is of course an option especially if you will be working in one place for several months. The website Gumtree has offers of share accommodation where people offer a room which might be the best as otherwise you need to buy furniture etc. Melbourne and Sydney are fairly expensive so renting a property by yourself would work out quite costly, the website Domain.com has rental properties. i would advise waiting until you know where you will be working and find accommodation not too far away, train trips of over an hour are not unusual in these cities.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

advertising, ahammer, is not allowed, your answer has no relevance to the question.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Depending on your budget, you can also try CouchSurfing or HomeAway, both have large Australian contingents. Australians embrace the walk-about mentality both home and abroad.

• Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Couchsurfing hosts are not likely to want medium to long-term stayers, unless you hit it off very well at the start. Tat would have to be luck rather than planning.

• sp1990's Profile Photo

by sp1990 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Thank you! i will have a look at those websites.and yes that's probably a good idea to see where i would be working first. It would be me and my sister sharing the rent cost.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Yes, long term I would recommend Run Properties run.com.au but for the first couple weeks, it may be impossible to commit to housing and then find employment to be an hour away or some such.

• sp1990's Profile Photo

by sp1990 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:38 AM

yes definitely understand what you are saying. would have to be extremely lucky for it all to fall perfectly immediately. i will do some more research thank you! :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Australia Travel Answer Locations