Australia Travel Answers

change location
JuanM's Profile Photo

Planning my 45 day trip to Australia!

by JuanM Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Hey Everyone! As I said Im travelling to Australia next month and i wanted some advice on how to distribute my days over there..

The idea is to get an idea of the whole... I know! You are going to say its not enough! but it isnt that little either! There are places I´ll get a better idea than others..

Take Perth for example... I was planning on staying for a week.. but i was thinking that i should go either for 4 or 5 days and stay only in perth or maybe more time and have time to travel around western australia.-

Im interested in nature, wild life and beatiful windy beaches for kitiboarding but Im also considering moving over there if everything works out.. so I want to visit the main cities to get an idea of how the urban australia is like..

Hopefully you can help me and tell me the places I MUST visit, and some ideas on how to get around.

My original plan it to arrive to Sydney and connect by plane to Perth. A week over there and take a plane to Melbourne. After that who knows...

Any contribution is welcome ;)

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Planning my 45 day trip to Australia!

by wise23girl Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Now I suggest you open this link to The_Downunder_Mob "Official VirtualTourist Australian Local Chapter" - The_Downunder_Mob's Profile

Explore this link as it was put together by a group of Aussie VTers and will give you a good overview.

Spend a bit of time as you will find something on all states of Australia....and A younger Mob section "The Younger Mob" - Personal Page by The_Downunder_Mob

If you put Perth in the search box you will find pages written by members...including aussirose who may come in and help answer your questions as she lives in Perth..

The weather should be settled down by next month so hopefully it will be pleasant.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I suggest you either choose Melbourne-Adelaide-Perth and up the coast via Broome to Darwin. You will get to see some beautiful countryside and an idea of what life is like in the cities.
    Another option would be to arrive in Cairns and work your way down the east coast to Sydney, also experiencing the cities and tropical Australia with a side trip to the Barrier Reef. I have been thru the middle twice (Darwin-Adelaide, Darwin to Townsville ) and would not recommend it as it is miles of similar desert, although Katherine Gorge and Coober Pedy are extremely interesting.
    Or why not go for the whole hog and circumnavigate the country starting in Cairns-Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne-fly to Perth and up the east coast to Darwin!!!

1 member found this helpful

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Hi welcome to VT.

First, to and from. If you can fly into one city and out of another it will save you doubling back. For example, fly into Brisbane and out of Perth. Where you fly to/from will decide the best routing around Oz.

Flying between cities is the best way of getting around when you're here, the distances are huge, your time is limited and flying is usually the cheapest anyway. It would be best to try to keep going in the same direction rather than crossing back and forth. For example, if you can fly into Brisbane and out of Perth make your route Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth.

You can do your nature/beaches visits around each of the cities, either hire a car or use public transport. Or take organised tours.

Have a look at our pages here on VT to see whether you can make a shortlist of places you particularly want to visit, let us know your city of arrival/departure and then we can give you more detailed advice.

2 members found this helpful

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM

We spent 10 days in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Still it was one of the best trips we ever had. I wish I could have as much time as you have so that I could discover more. You can check my Sydney, Melbourne and Perth pages for some help in your itinerary. Enjoy the beautiful Australia and its lovely locals :)
    "The first city we visited in Australia" - Sydney by muratkorman
    "Our second destination in Australia" - Melbourne by muratkorman
    "A relaxing city" - Perth by muratkorman

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 2:48 AM

If you really want to see what Australia has to offer, spend less time in the cities and more in rural and regional areas. What are you interested in eg beach, mountains, sport, history, boats, trains etc etc?

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 3:24 AM

I think 45 days will give you a great appreciation of the country and all the above advice is good.

Do get out of the cities . This time of year Darwin and the Northern Territory are great. You miss the high season high cost which starts May.

I also thouroughly recommed at least 2-3 days in Canberra, the Capital. You might say i would as i live here but Cbr is very unlike the other cities .. Much smaller for a start. Lots of museums gallaries and not one but two national parliaments. All free entry.

Im working hard on a new Canberra page. Do have a look "Canberra" - Canberra by wabat

Ill be adding more asap. Some of the main big attractions like the Australa War Memorial, (new) Parliament house, national Gallery and national museum i have yet to do tips for... But info on these is easy to find online as well as other Vt member reviews..

I have tips on Adelaide too but if you were picking Canberra or Adelaide i recommmend Canberra as its different and the Capital. Easy access from Sydney - via road.

Travel can take a lot of time .. This is a Big country. I suggest you choose location then consider best flight connections afterwards. There are some great (but expensive ) train trips in australia. If interested we can give you more details. I know wise23girl has tips on some if not all of them.

• JuanM's Profile Photo

by JuanM Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Hi everyone!! And thanks to all for the great advice!!

As I said i have to arrive and depart from Sydney so my idea was to connect Sydney to Perth and start my trip from there. The Plan is to spend 8 days in the Perth Area And fly to Adelaide, spend some days there and make my way east to Melbeourne, couple of days in Canberra as Wabat recommended and up to Sydney and Brisbane. Maybe from there go up to the barrier reef and then back south to sydney to spend my couple of days there and fly back home..

Davidjo recommended Darwin. Darwin is a little bit out of the way.. what do you think? Is it a must or i´ll get the idea when I travel north to brisbane and the reef barrier?

Any suggestion on stops during that itinerary are more than welcome!! Nature adventures (hiking, national parks, etc)

THANKS AGAIN!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Australia Travel Answer Locations