Australia Travel Answers

change location

Working/Travelling in Australia

by frankent_ Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Hey, me and a friend are thinking of taking a year out to work in Australia, we understand that a working holiday visa will need to be arranged and flights, however all I am confused about is accomadation, money and jobs. Should we prebook hostels or should we do this once we arrive? We are a little unsure how easy it will be to find a job, ideally we would like to be based in a farm, however we are unsure how long it could take to find something suitable and was therefore curious to how much it costs to live if we are talking very basics, just hostels and food?

We are both only 19 and from the UK; we're very serious about this however feel like we could use as much advice from anyone in who may be able to help us plan

Thank you

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Working/Travelling in Australia

by davidjo Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 4:58 AM

You must apply at the Australian High Commission for the 1 year working visa which is available to young people. And maybe you should direct your questions to them as i am sure they will have the info that you require. Meanwhile this site will explain a few things regarding the working visa.
    immi.gov.au/visitors/working...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 6:16 AM

When I was there on a working holiday visa in 2005/06 hostels were about AU$20 per night, you'd get deals if you booked more nights together ie book 7 and pay for 6. I pre-booked my first week's stay in Cairns and then just booked either a day in advance or just turned up on the day after that.
    I think, including flights, I spent about £6,000. This was very much on the cheap, camping a lot, cooking my food rather than eating out, making use of meal deals (lots of steaks and pints for AU$5 and some hostels will give you a free meal voucher for a local pub for your first night's stay) staying in houses for work (look up Woofing). I worked at a fairground, cafes, sheep station and forestry work for either money or bed and board and found these very easilly. Hostels often have job notice boards or know of companies to phone for you to find work.
    Food costs were combarable to the UK, it didn't feel that much cheaper really. Pints out where more expensive than over here but beer was cheaper in supermarkets and drive-throughs.
    Do get back to us with any more questions, mine was an experience I'll never forget!

1 member found this helpful

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Forgot to say, I found most of my hostels through my Lonely Planet guide book or hostelworld.com, take a look on-line to get a more up-to-date idea of costs for a bed.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

For farm work, have a look at:

http://www.wwoof.org/

If you get fixed up through that reputable site it may well help your visa application.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Australia Travel Answer Locations