Australia Travel Answers

change location

Hitchhiking mate

by La6loba Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM

heyo I will be parusing about the mighty land of Aus for a while starting April 15th. I am due to land in Melbourne but move up to the Sunshine Coast and work as a fruit picker. I am hoping to find me a hitchiking buddy, so if anyone is interested let me know! We can have a chat and such first good wishes, Flo

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Hitchhiking mate

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Hi - try posting on Travel Buddy at www.travbuddy.com. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Hitchhiking in Australia is illegal if you stand on the edge of the road, which pretty well makes it illegal. There is a good chance if the Police see you, your in trouble. It is only an odd unwary tourist that does it these days. Terrible things have happened over the years to ones that have been picked up, so is it really worth taking the risk? I found this website, haven't looked at it, but thought you may be interested http://hitchhikemate.com.au/

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I forgot to say, in Victoria and Queensland it is definitely illegal, and is on all motorways in Australia.

• stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

If you are going to work as a fruit picker, you cannot do this on a tourist visa. You will need one of the work visa's. There are heavy penalties for those employers who hire people that do not have the correct visa, so basically they don't do it.

STEVE

1 member found this helpful

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I haven,t seen anyone hitching a ride in many years,  after the Backpacker murders the whole scene changed.  I would never pick up a hitchiker and certainly not 2 - truck drivers used to pick up hitchers a lot but they are not allowed to do it now, their insurance doesn,t cover unauthorised passengers.   At the risk of sounding like your mother, don,t hitch.  There are very reasonably priced flights available now, especially if you book in advance.  

• PamRay's Profile Photo

by PamRay Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

As with other advice, it is illegal and dangerous to hitch hike in Australia, if you are here for good lenght of time you can pick up a 2nd hand car very cheap then sell it when you leave

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Australia Travel Answer Locations