change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Is it safe to cycle around downtown?

by txhou Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Hi,
      We'll be visiting Austin the 1st time in April.
      Not sure if i want to stay AT&T executive hotel.
      i may rent a bike to commute around to restaurants around Congress area.
      Hampton inn & suites Austin downtown ok?
      Thank you for any advice.

more
    • Is it safe to cycle around downtown?

by txhou Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Hi,
      We'll be visiting Austin the 1st time in April.
      Not sure if i want to stay AT&T executive hotel.
      i may rent a bike to commute around to restaurants around Congress area.
      Hampton inn & suites Austin downtown ok?
      Thank you for any advice.

1 Answer Apr 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    • apbeaches's Profile Photo

Hill Country

by apbeaches Online Now Mar 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Picking up a rental car in San Antonio & driving to Austin through the Hill Country. Understand it's beautiful & Hill Country Food is wonderful. Planning to stop at the LBJ Ranch. Can anyone recommend accommendations? Must stop & see?

6 Answers Apr 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    • apbeaches's Profile Photo

Rental Car

by apbeaches Online Now Feb 15, 2014 at 8:15 AM

In April do we want to rent a hard top or would the weather be nice enough to go from San Antonio through the Hill Country, Austin & Houston?

1 Answer Feb 15, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    • 3 day weekend in Austin during February

by green098 Online Now Jan 19, 2014 at 6:27 AM

Been vacation-less for the past 7 years, so I am escaping to Austin to enjoy the music. Love the Blues, but not into Country or Jazz. Staying on 4th street. Would like to avoid huge crowds and lines, so I avoided the festivals. Any advice on where to go?

And besides the music, is there anything I just shouldn't miss. - Thanks

2 Answers Jan 26, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    • yumnaali's Profile Photo

3 Months in Austin!

by yumnaali Online Now Dec 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm from London and will be travelling to Austin in February 2014 for a 3 month internship. This is going to be quite a vague post so apologies in advance!

I'm going to be working in the 'medical district' and wanted to know the best type of transport i can use around the city - I briefly looked up Capital Metro but not sure what is the best ticket for me. Is there one that includes both trains and buses? I don't drive so renting a car won't be an option. I'm worried as people say its hard to get around Austin without a car because the city is huge compared with London!

Also, does anyone recommend anywhere good that i can stay, with a reasonable commute to and from work and a budget of $850 a month rent?

NOT including rent, what would be the average cost of living in the city- expenses such as food, essentials, shopping, travel?

And generally..what is there to see and do in Austin?? :)

I'm super excited!

Thanks in advance for any help!

9 Answers Dec 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    • wwroam's Profile Photo

Restaurant Location

by wwroam Online Now Oct 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

In two weeks I will be in Austin for the F1 race and staying at the Holiday Inn.
      Joe Saward, the F1 journalist and blogger will be holding anEvening with Joe at the Z'Tejas Restaurant. Is it a long way from my hotel.

2 Answers Oct 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    • what to pack

by schrammy Online Now Oct 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I am traveling from Michigan to Austin next week. I was wondering what type of clothing I should pack. Any suggestions?

1 Answer Oct 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    • special restaurant

by losham Online Now Jun 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I was told there is a restaurant in Austin where meats are on display and you can choose your cut and how you want it prepared. Does anyone know if this is true and where it is?
      Thanks for any info.
      Losham

4 Answers Jul 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    • 4th of July

by mcraig11 Online Now Apr 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Hello, Austin folks! We are going to be in town over the 4th of July. What's the best bet for fireworks? Also, we'll be staying downtown because our 16-yr-old son is going to a gaming thing at the Convention Center. Do we need a car to see the best that Austin has to offer? We'll be there from the 3rd to the 9th.

Thanks for any info and recommendations!

2 Answers May 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    • Driving from Austin to San Antonio

by spedprof Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Looking for a scenic route from Austin to San Antonio

2 Answers Mar 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    • long say vacation

by Echobeach Online Now Dec 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Hello I am a 48 year old photographer from Manchester in the UK and has a few months free time from March until the middle of May and has been considering a long stay vacation in Austin.

Why Austin, well a fairly liberal arty town, one that is not on the main tourist destination list for foreigners. I like cycling and hiking and it seems then Austin is ideal.

I want a relaxing two months, time to read, photograph, blog, work out. Has recently lost a lot of weight and is now trying to build.

Few questions.

Possibly has a chance of an airbnb in Holly in East Central Austin. How is the neighbourhood ? Wants somewhere easy access to downtown and walkable. Will hire a vehicle for visits to places outside of Austin and a camping trip to Big bend National Park.

Best gym in downtown for someone who likes a decent free weights section and good trainers ? Golds ?

And more importantly is Austin a good choice ? Me liberal European, gay guy, likes outdoors life, Camping ( IN A TENT ), Music fan, Wants to go to a rodeo. Likes decent Ale, laid back bars....

So Austin the choice ?

12 Answers Jan 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    • Weekend in Austin for "mature" first timers?

by spedprof Online Now Dec 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Folks,

Sorry for this obviously repeated query, but while I know Austin is a place for young hipsters, my wife and I (in our mid 60s) will be visiting in late March before heading off to a conference in San Antonio. So we are looking for recommendations on hotels (reasonably priced), areas to stay (I assume we want to visit UT), and things to do.

Thanks and again, apologies, but I doubt if we want the weekend plans of those in their 20s

Spedprof

9 Answers Jan 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    • inquisitiveman's Profile Photo

Looking for a good hotel central to tourist attractions

by inquisitiveman Online Now Dec 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I was planning to be there late in January driving in...anyone recommend a good hotel close for driving to the attractions around town? It can be unknown spots too...preferably a hotel that has free parking/wifi and at least a 3 star hotel, preferably 3.5 star and above. I will likely use priceline, so i wont really get to pick, but i can at least get an ideal of what i'll be getting through the zones. Thanks.

4 Answers Dec 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    • elise_crash's Profile Photo

Boat Cruises for Bat Watching

by elise_crash Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Hello!

We would like to take a sunset cruise on the lake to see the Congress Avenue Bridge bats. It looks like there are two different companies who do this - Lonestar Riverboats and Capital Cruises. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with either of these companies and which one is better. Thanks for your help.

Happy Travels!
      Lisa

• HooptheWorld's Profile Photo

Visiting Austin, Any VT meet ups?

by HooptheWorld Online Now Jan 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Will be in Austin this January and wondering if there are any VT meet ups?
      That would be so sweet.
      I have an extra travel hoop to share too!

Thank you

1 Answer Jan 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    • Reservations at Hula Hut

by ktkzbutler Online Now Oct 10, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Does HH take reservation for the patio or are table first come first serve? We will be celbrating a birthday and would like to be out on the deck to watch the boats on the lake.

1 Answer Oct 11, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    • Austin to El Paso

by filboy Online Now Aug 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM

We have the time, and would like to know interesting routes from Austin to El paso Texas.

• toddler friendly activites

by ohsobright Online Now Aug 5, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Hi, coming over to Austin in Sept. Want to spend a couple of days in Bandera. How long would that take by car and what is there for an almost 3 yr old to do? Will there be rodeos, can you do day trips to a ranch?
      Thanks

2 Answers Aug 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    • 5-7 Days in Austin

by krhava Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Want to make my first visit to Austin the weekend of July 4th. Would like to rent a home or condo. The family enjoys both outdoor and urban activities. Should I stay away from or in the city? Where would I be most likely to find a 2-3 bedroom house or condo to rent? Any help would be appreciated.

3 Answers Jun 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    • american_tourister's Profile Photo

Austin VT Meeting

by american_tourister Online Now May 4, 2011 at 5:38 AM

I will be home from Saudi Arabia in late June and the first week of July. I was thinking about a VT meeting during that time. Anyone interested?

• passport stamped?

by tallboytx Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 2:56 AM

when a U.S. citizen crosses back into Texas is the passport stamped or scanned or just looked at?

Read more: VT Forum temporarily unavailable

4 Answers Apr 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    • grisslehamn's Profile Photo

Austin F1 date ?

by grisslehamn Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Will the race be held on june 24 2012?

thanks

mats, sweden

2 Answers Mar 31, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    • visiting

by vahat Online Now Mar 2, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I will be visiting Austin this month (March), what do I bring in the way way of clothing? My trip is a vacation and I have never been to Austin. I currently live in a very cold climate.

3 Answers Mar 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    • Affordable Apartments in Austin?

by larrycruz361 Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 5:56 AM

A friend and I are planning on getting our own apartment after High School when we graduate but we are having a tough time looking for one. We're basically are looking for one in the Northern Part of Austin. Any ideas?

2 Answers Jun 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    • Cost of staying in Austin?

by larrycruz361 Online Now Feb 23, 2011 at 6:32 AM

This summer I plan on getting an apartment in Austin and staying there for maybe 2 months and just wondering how costly is Austin, Texas?

4 Answers Mar 22, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    • RV camping in Austin

by cruisemom Online Now Jan 26, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Does anyone have an idea what the state parks are like around Austin? We plan to take our trailer and go there this summer. I am looking at Blanco State park

1 Answer Jan 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    • Place to watch the OU Bowl game in Austin

by ouguy23 Online Now Dec 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM

My friends and I are staying in Austin for New Year's and we wanted to know of a bar, preferably close to downtown, we all could go to that would show the OU Bowl game on Jan. 1st.

• New Year's Eve in Austin

by ouguy23 Online Now Dec 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM

My friends and I have never been to Austin, so we decided to go for New Year's Eve this year. What is the best place to go to on sixth street for New Year's? We are looking for a place that plays top 40 & hip hop and where we can dress up nice for.

Thanks

6 Answers Dec 23, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    • best place on 6th street?

by bwotawa87 Online Now Dec 16, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Im goin to 6th street for the first time for my birhtday this weekend.. Any one have any suggestions on the best place to go.. Looking for a mixutre of music but mostly hip hop (stuff you can dance to).. good priced drinks and a great fun place to let go and have fun..

• Where to go?

by DaveFic Online Now Nov 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

My wife and I will be in Austin Dec. 2-5 and are looking for a good place to hear some classic rock or blues, especially on Saturday night. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dave

5 Answers Dec 5, 2010 at 12:36 AM