Austin Travel Answers

change location

Pflugerville or Round Rock, or Jacksonville

by arlenebuster Online Now Feb 8, 2006 at 7:27 PM

I am probably moving to Jacksonville, but I've also seen that Austin Texas is a great place to live also. I know that Austin has higher taxes and higher priced houses, so I'm looking at Pflugerville or Round Rock. What are these places like,maybe even in comparison to Jacksonville? How is the education for kids, crime, fun things to do, travel distance to downtown, ect? I am coming from New Jersey and I want to make sure we are making the best decision. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Wingshot's Profile Photo

RE: Pflugerville or Round Rock, or Jacksonville

by Wingshot Online Now Feb 17, 2006 at 2:27 PM

I've never been to Jacksonville, but I lived in Pflugerville for a while.

One word for you: Suburbia. Miles and miles of tract homes & strip malls on what used to be farmland. It's 20 minutes on the interstate bare minimum to downtown Austin, could be an hour in traffic. There's a nice small downtown area, but it's not much. They are turning many of the roads that lead to Pflugervill/Round Rock into toll roads. Not much in the way of entertainment aside from a couple of decent golf courses, and a Tinseltown movie theater. The Round Rock Express are fun to see if you like baseball, but I'm not much of a fan.

On a positive note, crime is low & schools are pretty good.

I got the heck outta there & moved back to South Austin.

If you want lower taxes, I'd suggest Kyle or Buda. Good schools, lower taxes, and it's a shorter drive to Austin. I just hate Pflugerville.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines