change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 9 Days on North Island & bringing a folding bike on my trip to NZ

New Zealand Aug 14, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Hi

I have 9 days on the North Island , after a week on official visit here. Will have visited Rotorua for 3 days & Auckland for another 3 ('usual' sites like Taupo, Waitomo, etc). Am looking at the Coromandels on my extension stay. Would appreciate it if you have suggestions of what are the must sees for the Coromandels & on the north island. Thanks.

Am also considering bringing along a folding bike for the trip. How easy is it to bring this up trains and buses? Is it a good idea? (Bringing it on the plane shouldn't be a problem).

thanks for any advice while I also frantically try to do my readings!

more
    • Rental car, cricket and rugby

New Zealand Aug 20, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Hello, I'll be in NZ in January. I'd like to know if it's possible to attend a cricket or rugby game. As I will be visiting North and South Island, let me know when and where I can attend rugby or cricket and I will see if it's possible for me to be there. I haven't found any on Internet thus far.

Also, I've searched a lot to find an affordable price for a car rental in Aucland to Wellington (drop off) from January 1 to January 6 2016. Prices are very expensive. I've checked Apex, go rentals and a lot of other rental companies. It seems it is no cheap. Anybody can help me?

thanks !!!!

more
    • ABALONE PAUA SHELLS

New Zealand Aug 11, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Hi everyone, I am looking for a jewelry box whose lid is an abalone shell. I know it came from New Zealand, but I can't place the supplier of this item.
      I found various places in NZ where they sell the shells, but they do not make any products out of them.

If someone knows where these items are sold, I would be very grateful for the info.

Alfredo

more
    • NZ for 20 days in January 2016

New Zealand Aug 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Hello all! I've done a lot of research for this trip that I had in mind for years.. My plane tickets are bought :)
      However, the most difficult part is to choose among too many nice places to visit/see.

So, I have the following questions. I would appreciate your help, even though you could answer only one of these:

I will start with the North Island.

1.It's a very busy period around January 1st in Paihia. Accomodation is very expensive. For that reason, I think I would instead stay 2 days in the Coromandel area OR in the Bay of Plenty area. I can't make a choice. Any help?

2. Not sure about Tauranga...Is the White Island interesting?

3.Would like to see the Polyneysians spas near Rotorua. I think I'd like to spend 2 days there. Would like to experience the hot pools. Not sure about the hobbit though. Was said it's a tourist trap.

4. Perhaps 1 day in Rotorua and one day in Taupo( Wairakei Geothermal). What do you think?

5. I would like to do one day of trecking only. I thought that the Tongariro would be a nice place for that. Or, I may choose the South Island for that day of trecking. Is Tongariro a must do?

6.I think Napier might be a nice destination for the Art Deco and the wine (Hawke's Bay - that Sauvignon is one of my favorites)

7. Then from Napier to Wellington. 2 days for the city is enough? I will visit the Te papa, cable car, Mount Victoria.

8. Wondering if it's worth it to take the ferry from Well. to Picton or to fly directly from Well. to Christchurch. Then I could go to Greymouth via Arthur's Pass. If I take the ferry, I would go to Nelson and then to Wesport (and then down the West Coast).

9. The ferry would allow me to go to Blenheim and the wineries. Is it very different from the Napier area?

10. Is the Punakaiki between Westport and Greymouth? If yes, I will have to drive between those 2 cities. Is there a time of the day or of the year when it's better for the blowholes?

11. By the way, I have driven only once on the left side of the road (in Scotland). I am wondering (very important question) if the roads are OK for a person that is not used to the left driving??? Especially down the West coast of south island. Is it true that there are bends and no fence protection on the roads (fall in the valley?) and that is is dangerous?

12.I want to do the glaciers, but take the Heli on only one of them. Do you suggest Franz or Fox for the heli?

13.From the glaciers I would go to Queenstown and base there for 3 days.Or base 1 day in Wanaka?

14. Is the road from Wanaka to Queenstown difficult (left drive)?

15.I'd like to go to Milford Sound and drive one way only (not drive back and forth, because it might be too long a day). Are you aware of a company doing a tour one way only?

16. I'd really like to go to Mount Cook, but it seems impossible to do considering the fact I will do the glaciers. the only possible way of doing it would be to take a tour (coach) from Queenstown for one day, back and forth the same day. Is it really worth it? Of course I'd like to see Lake Pukaki.... But considering that the weather can prevent me from seeing the Mount, is it really a good idea to do such a very long coach tour .... Your help on this one will be particularly appreciated.

17. And finally I will spend 2 or 3 days in Christchurch before going back home. Is a day trip to Kaikoura to see the whales a good idea? I am just wondering if it's the season for the whales in January.Or How about Akaroa instead of Kaikoura (if I cant do both).

Thanks a lot for your precious help.

I understand that doing this involves a big amount of driving. But i think I have no choice if I want to do the most and make stops to admire the beauties on the road!

more
    • ll_angel86's Profile Photo

Booking the car rental

New Zealand Aug 11, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Hi,

This is my first time going on a self-drive tour. Is it necessary to pre-book before I reach or is it Ok to book at the aiport?

Also, if I have a Singapore driving license, that is accepted in New Zealand?

Thanks.

more
    • reasonable priced restaurants

by lsg1959 Online Now Jul 9, 2015 at 8:40 AM

where do the locals in auckland eat, that is reasonable in price

2 Answers Jul 10, 2015 at 5:04 AM
    • leigh767's Profile Photo

Moving to Auckland! Help needed

by leigh767 Online Now Jun 5, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Hello all! I'm moving to Auckland in a few months! Very excited to be back in a beautiful city in a beautiful country. Have done some research for the move but I still have some questions related to administrative matters and would love input from VTers. For context, this won't be my first time living in a place that isn't my home country. In fact, quite the opposite. Been a nomad for a long time so just need to know the specifics for NZ for consideration. Thank you for any help you can offer!

1. Which bank is better to set up a savings account? The most important thing would be customer service and that online banking is available.
      2. Which credit cards are best to get/ should I consider getting? There are so many options; I tend to prefer those that help you accumulate miles or those that offer points which can then be converted into miles (no surprises there!)
      3. I hear that insulation isn't great in buildings. Other than wearing jackets indoors, any tricks to save on electricity/heating bills?

Thanks again!

3 Answers Jul 19, 2015 at 2:41 AM
    • Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

One night in Auckland.

by Tricky_Dicky69 Online Now Apr 3, 2015 at 2:50 AM

Hi, we will be arriving from Sydney landing at 17.10 on a Friday evening at the end of October. We are picking up a car at the airport at the start of a 32 night tour of the north island staying mainly at rented bach's at various locations. We intend staying one night in the Auckland area before heading up to Whangerei on Saturday morning. Before our journey north we need to stock up on food, wine, beer and a chilly bin etc. Can anyone suggest a mid-range motel / hotel that is within walking distance of bars & restaurants that also has a suitable supermarket / store nearby for us to stock up at. We would prefer not to stay too close to the airport as choices are limited, a suitable suburb of Auckland would be preferable. Any help would be much appreciated.

6 Answers May 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    • zaffaran's Profile Photo

Accommodation in Auckland

by zaffaran Online Now Mar 29, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Dear VTers, can you recommend me a decent accommodation in Auckland? I mean, we'll be travelling quite on a bugdet so no Hilton , please. A small guesthouse will be perfect. Or maybe local company or trustworthy website offering this type of accommodation. Thank you in advance for your advice.

4 Answers Jun 1, 2015 at 12:22 AM
    • Auckland 4 days

by mlwee Online Now Mar 20, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Hi,

Will be travelling to Auckland for a wedding at Waiuku in April. The following is a rough itinerary. Would appreciate any suggestions and tips:

Arriving Auckland on Wednesday 2pm. Staying in Auckland city.
      Thursday morning, renting a car from the city and leaving for Waiuku for the wedding. Staying over night in Waiuku.
      Friday morning, booked tour at Spellbound caves. Thereafter, driving to Taupo and staying there for the night.
      Saturday morning, drive to Rotorau and Agrodome. Drive back to Auckland and staying the night in Auckland.
      Sunday morning return rental car. Depart Auckland Sunday night - shuttle to airport.

1) How are the road conditions? Will a normal car do or do I need to rent a 4x4?
      2) Driving from Waiuku to Spellbound Caves, is it easy to find?
      3) What is the weather like in April? Is it quite chilly in Waiuku and Taupo?
      4) Any coffee places along the way?
      5) If i have half a day, with no rental car, would you suggest Devonport or Waiheke?

Many thanks!

10 Answers Mar 28, 2015 at 10:49 AM
    • Transport from Airport Auckland to Tepuke

by Adelynn88 Online Now Feb 25, 2015 at 1:04 AM

would like to know how do i take transport from Auckland airport to tepuke?

10 Answers Mar 29, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    • One night in Auckland

by aarkof Online Now Feb 22, 2015 at 10:15 PM

We're a group of friends (12 total) will be traveling to Australia and New Zealand (South Island), then on the way back will spend one day (arriving to Auckland airport at 10:30am) and one night in Auckland. Next morning at 9:30am we will depart back to US. Can anyone please recommend whether we should get a hotel in the airport or in a city center for this night, and what we can do/see during this short visit?
      Thank you in advance.

5 Answers Mar 15, 2015 at 5:00 AM
    • Auckland in one day

by Gabriella.szalay12 Online Now Feb 17, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Hello,

As part of our honeymoon in September we will have one day from 6 am to 9 pm in Auckland.

Please let me know what can we do in Auckland in one day - we want to do city tour in Auckland- and maybe a sailing to see the city from the ship. what exactly to see in Auckland in one day?

What kind of New Zealand food specialities to try?any recommendation for restaurant where NZ food can be tried - which is not that expensive?

Many thanks,
      Gabriella

4 Answers Mar 15, 2015 at 5:00 AM
    • AnaLuiza's Profile Photo

Fishing Store in Auckland

by AnaLuiza Online Now Jan 30, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Hello,
      I will be in Auckland just for a day and am looking for a large fishing store for ocean fishing.
      Can somebody recomend one?
      Thanks in advance.

2 Answers Jan 31, 2015 at 3:00 PM
    • kiwi's Profile Photo

Child seats in taxis

by kiwi Online Now Dec 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I have visitors arriving at Auckland International Airport. They have a child, so how do the taxis do that? If they are on the ramp do they have access to child seats? Thanks for any insight.

11 Answers Dec 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    • family fun at new year

by Y2APE Online Now Aug 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM

We are new to Auckland having moved here a few months ago from Scotland. We have friends visiting 30th Dec with their children under 10, I am struggling for ideas other than have a BBQ and go to the beach for New Year? the Music festivals look great but as far as I can see they don't seem to be kid friendly...camping is tricky as we wouldn't have enough gear to accommodate all of us. Any suggestions ?? thanks in advance !

1 Answer Aug 15, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    • heydelin's Profile Photo

Driving from Auckland to Mata mata

by heydelin Online Now Aug 9, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Hi friends!

Kia Ora! Will be traveling for 2 months in NZ this October and the first thing I want to see is the Hobbiton in Mata mata. If say we are driving all the way up there, how long will it take? Is it better to book a hotel somewhere? Do I have to pay fees for entering the place too?

Thank you!

Haydee

12 Answers Sep 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    • kattierivera's Profile Photo

Shopping sales in AKL

by kattierivera Online Now Apr 8, 2014 at 5:16 AM

I'll visit AKL next month and I know there are lots of expensive stuff there. I want to know how often do AKL stores (clothes etc) have sales? Every week? Month? Thank you

11 Answers Apr 28, 2014 at 4:36 PM
    • Honeymoon must see's/dp

by stubbie87 Online Now Feb 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM

My Fiance and I are taking our honeymoon in Carins, Sydney, Auckland, and then Fiji. We will be at each place for about 4-5 days. Is there any suggestions for must sees or must do's in these areas. Also looking for unique romantic honeymoon type things? When we are in Cairns we are scuba diving the great barrier, and in Auckland we are spelunking with waitomo. Other then that any suggestions would be amazing! We are going in the end of May- June so I understand it will be warm in Cairns and Fiji and chilly in Sydney and Auckland. I would really love to go wine tasting in Auckland but haven't found enough information yet?

3 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM
    • Holiday in Auckland

by cnmloto Online Now Jan 1, 2014 at 5:15 AM

I am planning to visit Auckland for 1 week this April. Can anyone tell what to do and to visit?

2 Answers Apr 8, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    • tl1148's Profile Photo

Transportations and eats

by tl1148 Online Now Dec 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Will be arriving late night and staying downtown. What is best way to get there? Also good places to eat.
      Thanks from Texas

15 Answers Dec 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    • Best dinner and fireworks sightseeing

by Fantatrader Online Now Dec 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Where could be a good location to have a nice dinner on 31 Dec and cosy fireworks sightseeing nearby ? Westhaven Marina is better than Devonport ? Thanks in advance.

• ray_d's Profile Photo

Mobile Internet.

by ray_d Online Now Dec 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I will be travelling New Zealand for 2 weeks in Feburary 2014.

I shall be arriving in Aukland and departing from Christchurch.
      I have a car hired and will be staying in hotles and motels troughout the North and South Island.
      As I will not be sure where I would be staying overnight from day to day I like to book my accomodation through the internet daily.
      For this and other reasons I require mobile internet for which I already have an Australian Telstra "Dongle" and I hope only to buy the relevant SIM and provider service.

Can anyone confirm that New Zealand and Australia run the same Mobile and Mobile Internet networks please?

Is there a kiosk or company that provides such things at the Auckland Airport?
      Thank you in keen anticipation.

R

5 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    • pobblepop's Profile Photo

Accommodation in Auckland

by pobblepop Online Now Nov 13, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Hi guys!

Does anyone know of any good websites for room rentals/ house share in Auckland? Also, any idea what's a somewhat average price range for a double room in or around the Ellerslie area?

Thanks!

2 Answers Jan 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM
    • Local beer

by tms183 Online Now Nov 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Traveling from Australia for the weekend, just wondering what beer is available or a favourite by locals? Also a price would be good. Anyone recommend a local mascato wine?

1 Answer Nov 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    • Hotel search

by sweetbibinka Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Where is Mercury hotel

2 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    • Grocery shopping

by SusieMcN Online Now Sep 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Where is a good place to buy fresh affordable groceries?

3 Answers Oct 5, 2013 at 2:35 AM
    • New years eve celebration

by saskalaszlo Online Now Sep 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Hi,

coming with my wife for new years eve to Auckland.Looking for an elegant dinner,than a nice party -eventually with live music or entertainment. What are the best options for that?

Laszlo

2 Answers Sep 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    • Hotels near AKL?

by mckaylameow Online Now Sep 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Hi
      I am flying into akl at 1130 PM christmas eve day... what would you guys recommend the cheapest and nearest hotel to the airport is? most importantly we want scheduled transportation from airport to hotel that late..
      thanks

3 Answers Sep 16, 2013 at 1:45 AM
    • sbkluvs2travel's Profile Photo

guide for a day. driver

by sbkluvs2travel Online Now Aug 30, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Would like to find guide/driver to pick us up from cruise ship take us to hotel and then a day tour of the area away from the city. This would be on a Saturday, Nov. 16th. Thinking ahead to Sunday there is a great market we have read about that would be of great interest. Also open to suggestions. Thank you.

3 Answers Sep 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    • Rental Cars

by pvpetersen Online Now Jul 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Need to hire a car at auckland airport 14 Jan 2014 till 26 jan just traveling north island 4 people

4 Answers Aug 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    • storyin's Profile Photo

Designer Market/ Artists Market in Auckland?

by storyin Online Now Jun 17, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Hi!
      I plan to visit Auckland in August and September, is there any artists / designer market in Auckland?
      Do you recommend any interesting independent book shop, cool jewelry shop in Auckland??
      Thanks in advance!! :)

5 Answers Aug 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM
    • huggy93's Profile Photo

Koreans/Japanese in Auckland + International Guesthouses there

by huggy93 Online Now Jun 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Hey are there any Koreans living or traveling through Auckland around 11th July 2013. I got a lady friend who will be there for 3 weeks from that time and it's her first time to travel out of Asia so she's nervous.... she's looking for Korean 20 somethings and 30 somethings WOMEN to hang out with...also Japanese WOMEN are okay as she speak Japanese well. Additionally could you recommend any good International guesthouses for her to stay at? She can speak a little English so she would like to meet and hang out with people from other countries. She is currently living in Japan. Your help would be really appreciated ;-)

1 Answer Jun 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    • josephine033's Profile Photo

Im stuck for 12 hrs in auckland airport for my next flight

by josephine033 Online Now May 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

hi there, just wana know someone could tell me what to do in auckland airport im stuck there for 12hrs for my next flight to hongkong.

6 Answers May 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    • Jobs

by Willian_Sousa Online Now Apr 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Hi Mates! i'm going to NZ in a few mouths and i'd like to know about opportunity of jobs? someone can help me? thank you

2 Answers Apr 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM