Auckland Travel Answers

change location

Seek recommendations for restaurant near Great Posonby ArtHotel

by donnahecker Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM

We're staying at the Great Posonby ArtHotel our first two nights in New Zealand. Would love a few tips for nearby restaurants. Especially locally-owned, low-key spots where we can ease into the NZ experience. Extra points if they have seasonal menus and use local ingredients! Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

Seek recommendations for restaurant near Great Posonby ArtHotel

by kiwi Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Oh you are going to have a great time in Auckland. Just to give you the correct spelling to assist your research - Ponsonby.
    I haven't dined there lately so won't give specific names as restaurants seem to change in a jiffy.
    It's a popular boutique cafe village so I'm sure you'll eat well.
    There is a Link but to downtown Auckland :
    maxx.co.nz/media/4576/lk_lin...
    Take care downtown at night, there are some undesirables. But daytime, the area known as The Viaduct as well as Princes Wharf has interesting cafes etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Seek recommendations for restaurant near Great Posonby ArtHotel

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I share Pam's view. It is nearly impossible to make recommendations if you do not eat regularly at a place as owners and quality can change so fast.

Until my last visit to Auckland, for example, I would always have had dinner at least once at Invito at the Chancery - but after a change of owner it has become so average that I will not bother going back. The Chancery ís a very nice area for drinks and dinner though, as is the Britomart area. Various restaurants at the Viaduct and in the new Wynyard quarter (next to the Viaduct) are terribly overpriced (as is Parnell, with very few exceptions; Italian restaurant good, Thai superb but food takes ages, you are drunk before it arrives). The Italian place at the Viaduct is good value, service very good - but in the end I would say it is not outstanding.

In Ponsonby you find cafés and restaurants all over the place. Lately I heard and read that it is not that chic anymore. The best tip I can give you is to ask at your obviously outstanding B&B because the hosts get the feedback from travellers every day.

If we are annoyed with a restaurant or two, we always go to the Belgian beer café in Vulcan Lane (off Queen Street). It is always good, the Leffe brune superb... And there are more good and nice restaurants in this street.

A place for fresh and seasonal produce is the Auckland Fish Market in the Wynyard quarter. Various shops/restaurants serve great lunch.

Most restaurants are locally owned but not all are good.

• Dodo22's Profile Photo

by Dodo22 Online Now Apr 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Hi, I would suggest dining out in the Wynyard Quarter. There are a number of restaurants in a strip down here and always something for everyone.

Here is some information on the area that might assist you.

wynyard-quarter.co.nz/Wynyar...

1 member found this helpful

• tl1148's Profile Photo

by tl1148 Online Now Dec 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Great, appreciate your time.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines