Auburn Travel Answers

change location
opuslife's Profile Photo

A Murder... of Crows

by opuslife Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Hi All (Auburn or Fingerlakes folks),

We're trying to arrange our travel sked to spend the night later this week in Auburn so that we can see the gathering of crows there (long story - tens of thousands of crows apparently love Auburn, and my non-Goth, non-pagan witchcraft addled GF is fascinated - her Mom had crows that would eat from her hand).

We passed through yesterday on a work trip, and I asked at the Auburn cop shop downtown - they said that large numbers of them roost in the Fort Hill cemetary at night (we tried to see them during the daytime, but only two crows were there, on-guard.) The boss cop guy (sergeant stripes) was nice, and alluded to other locations in and around the town where large numbers could be seen - they apparently disperse in the morning to forage.

We're going to stay in the town on our way back through next week to try to see more of them at the cemetary (who wouldn't want to be able to say after a trip, when retelling trip adventures "and when we were in Auburn New York, we saw a murder... of crows" right?)

But, do any of you know of any other local spots in or around Auburn where these massive numbers of crows seem to show up during the daytime?

Any/all replies appreciated. I guess I apologize if the Auburn folks (who are obviously sick of tens of thousands of crows) are apalled at the idea of the crows becoming a 'tourist draw.' But to us, it is. From what we saw of it yesterday, seems like a nice little town, by the way.

To reciprocate, we live in a nice little hamlet in Rhode Island, where some folks come to stare and take photos of the quaint New England village and funny locals, namely the pretty hardworking fishermen. Come visit.

Regards all,

Bob W,
Bristol RI

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: A Murder... of Crows

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM

We get this in Indiana every fall as well. It terrifies my wife. I just find it obnoxious, since they'll poop all over your car. But it is pretty menacing. My experience here has been that they like the high points in the area, particularly if there are a lot of large trees around.

Hope that helps a little.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • opuslife's Profile Photo

Re: A Murder... of Crows

by opuslife Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:32 AM

OLLOW UP: This was really amazing.... we found them - should be listed under 'Things to Do' or 'Attractions' or whatever, for Auburn, NY. What's cooler than wandering (respectfully) around a very old graveyard with THOUSANDS of crows in the trees overhead - was really an otherworldly experience... like being in an odd, dark, novel. Thanks for the tips in finding them (they roost in the Fort Hill Cemetery in the thousands or tens of thousands in the tallest tress together en masse as the sun goes down. You can watch them streaming in from all directions of the compass - very odd) What an odd and really neat thing of nature to experience. Like an odd National Geographic Moment. Regards all, Bob W, Bristol RI

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Good to hear that it worked out for you. I should have mentioned that they tend to swarm just before dusk, as that would probably have helped.

VirtualTourist allows you to just add tips about anything you'd like, without there already being an entry for it, so you can add your own "Things to Do" tip for Auburn, NY about the crows. When you're prompted for "Tip Subject," just choose the first option, "No, Subject is not in this List". I'm sure that it will help someone out in the future.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines