Atlanta Travel Answers

change location
MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Storage at Atlanta airport

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Hey peeps,
I am due to fly out to Detroit via Atlanta in couple a weeks, problem is now I have flight connection gap of 7.30 min between Atlanta and Detroit, coming from Europe. That's no problem as we going to catch up with some friends downtown in the meantime. Now problem arise as the lockers at the airport are out of commission, the only ones at wrap-a-bag are not there any more, or should I say the website is not responsive and telephone number is disconnected.
I keep looking for storage lockers but no joy.
Anybody can shed light on where I can store 2 begs for 6-7 hrs? I really don't want to lug them behind me on the MIRA to downtown.. Any ideas??
profoundly grateful for any info
Valentina

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Storage at Atlanta airport

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I had a look at the Airport map at: atlanta-airport.com/docs/ter... and in the Terminal section there is a service called: Convenient Baggage Servies. I hope that is what you are looking for.

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Thanks PJ . I will have to explore this further. Need to call them or send them e-mail.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Mistery solved!
    Atlanta airport DO NOT HAVE any storage facility for bags! sorry to be crude but wtf happening here , Atlanta so pose to be the busiest airport in the world! Oh no matter, we have to lug our bags with us to downtown and back...

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

odd.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Very odd indeed. I called airport info center and apparently wrap a bag closed down 2 months ago. Also airlines closed down their storage facilities too..
    Something to do with post 9/11 and security...
    bummer!

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM

If you are using the same airline you shouldn't have to worry about this. When you go through customs you can re-check your bags at the desk at the customs exit. It then stays in the system until your flight leaves.

If you were having to re-check at the airline front desk or having to change airlines, this usually doesn't work.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I know that once I hit Atlanta, I have to go thought customs, pick up luggage for inspection as Atlanta is my first port of entrance in US.
    Now I am not sure, how it will play out. Last time on the same flight the lay over time was 1.40 hrs and it was straight to the next gate to Detroit. this time is 7.30hrs between two flights.. so I guess if I have to have luggage with me, I ideally want to store it somewhere for these 7hrs.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM

BTW is same DELTA all the way to Detroit. Flying back is non stop from Detroit to Dusseldorf with AirFrance.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

ATL... What a horrible airport. I remember looking recently at that baggage storage option and thought, "That would be nice to do while we explore the city." We ended up just going to the airport hotel, then taking the shuttle back to the airport to catch MARTA up. Good to know that the web site is actually lying though. We also had a hell of a time returning the car, as the car rental center is brand new and there are no signs yet.

Maybe you could rent a car. It's not terribly expensive and you can visit the other 90% of Atlanta that's not accessible by MARTA rail.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I prefer Atlanta to Miami. At Miami you have no choice but to go to the front desk of the airline and re-check your bags there.

With Delta and a few others at Atlanta this is pretty easy. You go through passport control, then collect your bags, then go through customs. Immediately after customs there is a desk where you can re-check your checked bags, if they were checked all the way through to Detroit when you started your trip. Almost always this will be the case. If you are able to do this, then the bags are already in the airlines system so that you will not have to worry about them.

What you take as hand luggage is a different matter. That you have to take with you as you as it wasn't checked into the system to begin with.

However, if you have to check into the airline at the front desk (like you do in Miami) they do not allow the checked luggage to enter their system more than 3 hours before the flight leaves.

You will have already checked your luggage into the system at your origin, and the only reason for you to have it in Atlanta is to get through customs. Therefore, they don't have the choice to reject it at the re-check counter that is at the customs exit area. The only thing that desk does is take baggage for people that have exited customs and put it right back into the airlines system.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM

ATL is need horrible airport & DELTA isnotmy fav Airline but u fortunately somebody else was booking & paying for us so I can notcomplain :(
    and with both dontknow what to expect..
    If they put my luggage into thesystem and is checked for me all the way through than all is good, but if not ,well i need to make plans...
    Ihonestly cant belive thatbuisiest airport on the Planet do not have storage lockers at all!

• bahiana77's Profile Photo

by bahiana77 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

"wtf happening here"
    9/11 happened. Anyplace a bomb or such could be hidden has been eliminated at most transport hubs.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I am all for safety and security, but ATL use to have lockers in the transit zone, where your luggage is already scanned and gone thought customs and security. Why on earth they close that?? And ATL is according to many websites the busiest airport in the world, so one can expect they will have that facility.. never mind, I just need to find way not to lug my bag with me downtown...

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Such places shouldn't be necessary. If you have gone through customs and security then your luggage is in transit, and you only need to hold it while you go through customs. Miami is the only airport I know of where this is frequently not the case.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM

If you are on transit, have the bags checked all the way through to your final destination. Since it is all Delta flights, they should be able to do this. If not, you can lose your bag and pick it up after you rendevous at the Delta lost lugggage...(just a thought), but I had a long layover and had the airline check it through my final destination. If they are charging you for the bag anyway, sometimes it is more convienant to let a couier take your bags to your final destination. that is a new service that has been popping up around airports. Sometimes I have my golf clubs sent ahead of my arrival and they will be at my hotel before I get there. Good luck

cheers tommy x

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM

airline

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Thanks Tommy, i actualy had Delta check them trough. Needed to pick them up and Show them at border entrance of US but once trought the costum you just drop them Off for onwards Travel and Walk out. Which we did and meet up with another VT member for walkabout and lunch, with plenty of time to be back for onwards Journey to Detroit. Staying this its amaze me that such a Big airport ( bussiest in the world) dont have Secure lockers for left luggage. And they just Build New extra Terminal.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM

As a general rule, such storage isn't available, certainly not at airports. Even before the terrorist attacks this wasn't that common at airports in the USA. Your luggage is either in transit to your destination or it is hand luggage, and so the airports here don't see any reason to have such a place. The terrorist attacks allowed them a reason to remove those few that were available and replace them with stores or restaurants or other such places that produce more income for the airport.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Put that way it makes perfect sense Rich

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines