Atlanta Travel Answers

change location

alternate entrance to the underground

by GTGarland Online Now Nov 6, 2007 at 8:03 AM

In the early 70s I remember entering the underground through s street level door thaat then went down a LONG staircase to an area near the calliope. Does this entrance still exist and where?

GTG

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: alternate entrance to the underground

by Earl100 Online Now Jan 2, 2008 at 7:29 PM

I remember that Calliope at one end of a dark hall-way and the steps leading up to ground level. It was functioning and the various steam-powered whistles, horns and percussion would play various circus tunes....I also remember one of the venues on that hall-way had various antique coin-operated arcade games, kinetoscopes (moving picture viewers)and something unusual that I haven't seen since. There were various large aquarium size glass boxes on pedestals. Each glass box contained a "scene" (farm, haunted house, zoo,etc.) with various human and animal characters (made of metal or porcelain) which were attached through the floor of the box w/ a metal stem which would move along a track or groove. The stem holding these characters were attached to a timing mechanism, much like an old clock mechanism. The characters and scene would move around when you put in a coin. These still worked, eventhough they were from the 1800s or early 1900s. After several years, this antique arcade room and the calliope were gone. Do you remember this?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines