Athens Travel Answers

change location
platapus's Profile Photo

Is There Transport to the Acropolis

by platapus Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM

My wife and i are in our mid 70's and will be visiting Athens in October. My wife walks with the aid of a walking stick, and I fear the walk (climb) to the top of the Acropolis may well be beyond her capabilities. Please, can someone advise.....is there some form of public transport (or other means) which would allow us to view this attraction?

Quote & Answer
20 Answers
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

Re: Is There Transport to the Acropolis

by Mikebb Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Taxi a taxi, it is not far if your accommodation is close to theold town. However I think you should be aware it is rough terrain up on the hill, old stone everywhere, uneven surface and at times very crowded. Some photos on my Athens page will indicate this.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • platapus's Profile Photo

by platapus Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Thanks Mikebb...I wasn't sure if there was a taxi going up the hill. I'm in Brisbane by the way. We will be doing a 15 day tour of Greece and the Islands in October and will remain in Athens after the rest of the tour departs Greece. We need some accommodation for say, five nights......around the100 to150 is Ok. Do you have any first hand recommendation?

Cheers,

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Hi Mike

There is access for disabled people on the north side of Acropolis (near main entrance I think) - get a taxi up as close as you can though.
    But be aware that there are many steps once at the site, cobbled uneven pathways, etc. Wear RUBBER soled shoes.
    There is also a 'little red train' which costs 6 euros (all day) and is hop on/hop off. Its great, because it does a loop around most of the interesting spots in Plaka. It also goes past National Archeological Museum. We used it a lot ..
    You cannot miss seeing it, or just ask someone about the route.
    I recommend two hotels that we have used. Both in Plaka are. Both have magnificent views of the Acropolis from rooftops.
    Plaka is in any case the nicest area to stay in.
    One is HOTEL CENTRAL
    other is HOTEL ADRIANE

Both gave excellent service, nice clean rooms, have lifts, and serve delicious breakfasts (included in cost) and both are within your budget.
    If you would like to see my reviews, there is a link on my home page (click on my name for that, where there is an ATHENS link.
    Please feel free to email me if you would like any more info. Also for islands.
    Regards

by platapus Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Thanks lynnehamman....sounds just what we are looking for, and experience has shown you can't beat first hand recommendations..............\\

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Yes, on how rough the surface is on top. However, if she has a good grip on you for balance and go slowly, you should be OK. Note that the top of the Acropolis is a large area, so the whole area shouldn't be packed even if certain areas are.

The Acropolis Museum (not on top, but somewhere below) is now open and much of the good stuff from the Acropolis is there. Sorry, I don't know where the museum is (it wasn't built yet when I was there), but the website is
    theacropolismuseum.gr/?pname...

In addition, I found this letter written to a guy who has an Athens Visitors website, by an competitor in the Athens 2004 Paralympics. In this letter, Ted the paralympian describes how he used the handicapped access to the top. NOTE: this access was for wheelchair users; I don't know if other people are allowed to use it (especially if there is a big queue of wheelchair users). See the letter at
    athensguide.com/disabled/ind...

Unfortunately, I can't offer any first hand info as there were no handicapped individuals in the three tours that we took up there (and it was a long time ago anyway)...good luck!

Bill

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM

You are welcome, Mike.

I don't believe that there will ever be a queue of wheelchair users at the lift access. I am sure that your wife will be able to use it. There is not a lot of red tape regarding health & safety issues in Athens.
    Have a lovely time. Its a great city with lots of friendly people and interesting thiongs to see and do.

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Hopefully, there is no queue, but I mentioned it because the paralympian did in his letter...of course, the fact that the Paralympics were in town may have had something to do with it ;-)

Bill

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM

In 2007 we stayed in the Attalos hotel for 2 nights, just 100 metres from the main train station in the old town district.

Our room was good for the price, very clean, bathroom spotless, approx 100 euros per night when we were there in 2007. Check comments on Tripadvisor

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...

Good Luck

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM

janet

Re:

***Do not waste time here; there is a website with Destination Experts who actually live in Athens***

VT staff are doing everything they can to encourage people to use (and return to using) VT- I do not think that this is a very encouraging remark. A very negative one, in fact.

I do not believe that the information given so far to OP is useless- he is getting the right info and I am sure that he is intelligent enough to look further into this himself.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I second that notion. Not only is it undermining the purpose of VT, but if you read the prior responses before you wrote this, - it then becomes highly offensive to those that wrote much appreciated responses to the OP, who voiced his appreciation. Shame!

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

by mindcrime Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 11:05 PM

and its not the first time she suggests something like this, its so offensive not only for people that live here (like me) but for VTers in general that try to help

anyway, about the small red train (we call it Happy Train) it DOESNT pass from the National Archeological Museum. the ride is about 45’ and the ticket costs 5 euros (for kids must be about 2e). You can take the train at Monastiraki square from 10:00am and the circle route is: Monastiraki Square > Plaka > Syntagma Square (Zappion Hall/Parliament etc) > Panathinaiko Stadium > Hadrian's Arch > Herodios Atticus Theatre > Acropolis > Thision area > Monastiraki Square

another alternative is the CitySightseeing bus. You can hop on at Syntagma square. The day ticket is 18 euro and there is one every 15’. The route has 15 stops and in normal traffic you will need 90’ to return to Syntagma square again. There is an audio guide in 8 languages.

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Regarding the route of Happy Train- we caught it, hopped off and walked (not a huge distance) to the Arch Museum.Apologies for saying that it went by there.
    And we definitely paid 6 euros- maybe its gone up in price? No matter- its an approx anyway.

Regarding the other subject- I agree, its not the first time, and its totally unacceptable as far as I am concerned anyway.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 11:54 PM

This is great stuff! You guys are really updating me on so many things in Greece in general and Athens in particular. It has been a while since I lived in Athens while working for Chandris, so I really appreciate any updates I can get on life there today. Just a note of thanks for this and other Greek threads. Yassou!

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

by mindcrime Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 12:55 AM

just for the record:
    the main entrance for the Acropolis is 2' away from Monastiraki metro station.
    the second entrance is 2' away from Acropolis metro station.

the acropolis museum is also 2' away from Acropolis metro station, actually its opposite the entrance for the Acropolis

all the information about access to the Acropolis for people with special needs is here:
    http://www.yppo.gr/files/g_423.pdf

There is a map included so you can see that the special entrance is just north of the main entrance

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

by tropicrd Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Phillyjan---I find your remarks very offensive--you really have undermined and insulted fellow VT members who have offered assistance to the poster via their own personal travel experiences.
    I love Athens and if anyone can help these people get to the top of the Acroplis without to much difficulty that is just wonderful.

Perhaps a letter from your doctor may help to get you on the elevator.

Hope you enjoy Athens it is such a nice city.

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Since I hope to be going to Crete in the Fall and may have a few days in Athens as well I just want to thank you all for the great info here. I found it very helpful indeed.

by platapus Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Once again.....Thanks everybody for the help and recommendations, you have made it so much easier for a pair of "oldies" who have yet to arrive in Greece.

Thank you..........\\\

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I once had a fragment of red tile that I picked up in the Agora, obviously just debris...we told ourselves that we had a piece of ancient Greek pottery...later, we found out that the open space of the current Agora was mostly built over until a century or so ago (plus or minus a lot?), and that they cleared out the buildings to expose the open space and maybe expose some ruins underneath...so the fragment of red tile was almost certainly a broken roof tile from a much more modern building...:-0

Oh, well, I still have the water from the spring at Delphi that restores your virginity!!! Have fun!!!

Bill

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Ha ha Bill- and did that magic water work? Please tell!

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Ha ha Bill- and did that magic water work? Please tell!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines