Athens Travel Answers

change location

Is racial tension an issue?

by Meags11 Online Now Jul 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM

My husband and I are traveling to Athens within the next few months. I feel absolutely silly even asking this but I recently had a few people mention an increase in violence against tourist/people of color. We are a bi-racial couple and have traveled the world together. We have received looks/snide remarks both at home and in many trips over seas. All of that- we can handle and truly doesn't bother us in the least. That being said, the threat of violence against my husband because of the color of his skin physically makes me sick. I know the risk of this isn't specific to Greece BUT I just had to ask for guidance from you all. In your opinion am I being neurotic or has there been an increase in violence of this type, enough to be cause for concern on our trip? I sincerely apologize if this sound ridicoulos, I mean zero disrespect! Thank you in advance!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • konstas's Profile Photo

Re: Is racial tension an issue?

by konstas Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I think that there is no reason to write a long answer. So no, you will have no problems at all during your stay in Greece even in Athens. Even those idiot persons that cause problems to immigrants do not create problems to tourists. And because i have read some comments in V.T. pages that makes a deal of this, BELIEVE me there is no problem FOR YOU AND  your husband .Just avoid places in hours that any person should avoid. Enjoy your stay and don't worry about anything. Just use your common sense.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • by Meags11 Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Konstas- Thank you! I appreciate your response- and for not making me feel silly! That was the answer I had expected! Common sense, we can do. Thanks again! Take care!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• starstudio's Profile Photo

by starstudio Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM

1000+ agree with Kostas answer.
    Stupid racists have no eyes but for poor emigrants around.
    Don't worry at all, tourists and travelers are welcome with smile.

1 member found this helpful

• dimitrispan's Profile Photo

by dimitrispan Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM

There is no problem whatsoever with racism against colored tourists...
    You can come to Greece and enjoy your stay with absolutely no concern...

There may be a racism issue but it is only against illegal immigrands that live in gettos
    and by some people are perceived as a threat to the local way of life and as a potential
    sourse of crime...

Have a nice trip!!

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

by greekcypriot Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Don't think like this even for a minute. Just like dimitrispan mentioned above this is done only to illegal immigrants who are a threat even to us who are locals.
    You have nothing to worry honestly speaking and thanks for picking Greece as your summer destination. I am absolutely sure that your holidays will be exceptional and you will want to be back soon again.

• StefanosS's Profile Photo

by StefanosS Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

First of all, welcome to VT!
    Second, you are welcome to Greece!
    I know that there are many stories about this kind of violence, but be sure that there is not really any problem. Such stories are based on two facts: The first is that Greece can not support more immigrants - either illegal or legal, since the present economic situation created a huge problem of unemployment; thus people seem to be "racist" with the immigrants, a fact that in no way has taken any form of violence. The second fact is a recent crime where both the psychotic criminal (Dutch) and the victim (Russian) were foreigners; this is not related to any kind of racism. Although criminality raised in the last years, Greece is still among the most safe countries in the world. My advice: Remember that in any country a cat can steal the fish from your plate; there are not countries without cats. :-))) Take the normal precautions, just to cease your concern, and trust the locals, especially those related to tourist businesses, and you shall have really wonderful vacations.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

by mindcrime Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Meagan you wont have any problem, as every tourist you will enjoy the attractions of Athens having great time in Greece, actually you will love the locals too :)

But we dont have to pretend there's no problem, anti-immigrant violence has risen in Greece, with series of racist attacks on immigrants and refugees, the easiest target are the homeless ones of course. Economic crisis is just one part of the problem with immigrants turning into the scapegoats.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Racism is unfortuantely a fact of life anywhere that people stand out from the locals. If it bothers you, it really does restrict where you go and what you can do. As others have noted, tourists are less likely to be targeted than immigrants; as one group is seen as being beneficial to the country, while the other is perceived to be a burden on society.

I've been to a number of countries where I have definitely noted racist attitudes towards caucasians; China, Japan and sub-Saharan Africa certainly come to mind when I look back at my travel experiences. The signs can be subtle, but are noticeable. Just stay away from people that are intoxicated as they may be less constrained about expressing their true feelings.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Being of South African birth, where not too long ago racism was a real issue, I am super aware of problems & violence because of a different coloured skin.
    There is no such problem in Greece.
    Enjoy your stay

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

by mindcrime Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 5:56 AM

really Lynne? how did you come in such conclusion? just because you had great time in Athens, Santorini and Naxos? :) I guess you didnt meet with anyone that had to go to the hospital because he just had the wrong color (hudreds of cases the last months)

• by Meags11 Online Now Jul 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

That hurts my heart to hear. Unfortunately, ignorant and/or lost people are a reality and not confined to any 1 region, country, or city. This- I understand. I do appreciate your feedback, thank you for taking your time. Please take care!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines