Athens Travel Answers

change location
StephanieW7's Profile Photo

has anyone been to Athens recently? Is it safe?

by StephanieW7 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM

My husband and i will be in Athens next month and i have heard that it is not safe. Is this true? I don't know if this is something to worry about or not. Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • STRATOS79's Profile Photo

Re: has anyone been to Athens recently? Is it safe?

by STRATOS79 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Best thing to do is try to avoid staying in the center of Athens so you will not have to deal with all the strikes also try to stay away from places like omonoia especially during the night hours

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • STRATOS79's Profile Photo

by STRATOS79 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Hi just try to avoid staying in the center of Athens so you will not have to face unpleasant surprises like strikes or demonstration...also avoid places like omonoia square especially during the night hours on the other hand there many bargains and better prices in almost everything compering to 2-3 years ago

• mariha2912's Profile Photo

by mariha2912 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM

The only thing I would worry about is increase of pick-pocketing mostly in metro station. Advice to avoid center of Athens is non-sense. This is the more convenient place to be for a first time visitor, thousand of visitors stay in hotels/hostels/appartments around Syndagma, Monastiraki, Plaka, Thision, Evaggelismos and Kolonaki areas. Omonoia area is to be avoided because a) First of all it is not so convenient to connect to most sites that might interest a visitor b) There are not many decent taverns, bars, shops etc around c) It looks dodgy with many lost souls around, drug users, prostitutes, homeless people etc. Rather a sad sight that I guess no one want to endure on holidays d) Althoug not so unsafe as some people make it to be, yes, chances for pitty crime are higher as it happens with wherever such poor souls concentrate.
    Strikes have nothing to do with safety. Demoastrations have nothing to fear of unless part of them turns into a riot and this is very very very rare and unluckely. I think people have a mixed idea of what a strike, a demostration or a riot is. Completely different things. If you need clarification on this matter let me know.

2 members found this helpful

• janetanne's Profile Photo

by janetanne Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I live here, and the only time I avoid the 'center' of Athens, which is usually considered to be the area around and near Omonia until Syntagma, is when there are demonstrations. IF, and when there are demonstrations, there are public announcements, so you can easily avoid these areas without any serious disruptions to your holiday. In the 30+ years I've been living here, I have not ever heard of anything dangerous happening in the area of Plaka or the Acropolis, which is where most of the main tourist attractions are located.
    For the majority of Athenians, life is going on as usual.
    Try to stay in a hotel that is near Plaka if you want to have easy walking access to the attractions there. Other wise, there are plenty of excellent hotels around where you can conveniently and cheaply take taxis, metro or buses. Have a look at my Athens pages on VT for tips.
    Enjoy your stay in Greece. April is a perfect month to be here!

4 members found this helpful

• dimitrispan's Profile Photo

by dimitrispan Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Hello, Stephanie... Yes, Athens is pretty safe even in the deep recession times that go on for almost 5 years now. If during your stay there is a massive demonstration to take place, you will know before hand and you better avoid it. Even though the worst thing that can happen to you is a lot of tears from police tear - gas use. Places like Monastiraki, Plaka, Thession, Kolonaki, Psiri, Keramikos, the whole sea front area and others are not only safe but very beautiful too. Avoid Omonia square in the night unless you want to experience how it is like in a drug users microsociety (although lately it is not so bad as it used to be in the previous years)... Here is a picture taken by me in Monastiraki area... Acropolis is in the background... Regards, Dimitris 

2 members found this helpful

• mishgreek's Profile Photo

by mishgreek Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Actually, aside from pickpocketing & begging of this gypsies on the streets there are no much crimes in Athens.Though there some places that are not good for tourist to visit in the night time such as Omonia.Pickpocketers are usually on the crowded places so try to be careful,in such like in the metro station,Ermou st.,or syntagma square.Athens is totally safe to walk & roam around on daylight.

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I would be more concerned about strikes causing the interruption of public services such as taxis, buses, Metro, ferries and planes. Strikes are announced in advance and usually happen mid-week and only last for 24-48 hours. Keep an eye out here for updates: http://livingingreece.gr/strikes

1 member found this helpful

• StephanieW7's Profile Photo

by StephanieW7 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Mostly what I am worried about is that we are going to be traveling on from Athens to Mykonos for work. We are photographers and will have a LOT of equipment. It all goes into one rolling bag but I am worried about it getting stolen. Would it be safe to leave this in the hotel? Or of we are out photographing the sites would these items get stolen? Also we will be staying at the Royal Olympic Hotel is this in a good area?

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Some hotels have secure rooms for their guest's possessions, which would be where I'd want to leave anything valuable while I was out. Obviously all that equipment won't fit in the small wall safe many hotels provide.

Yes, it's a good location.

• dimitrispan's Profile Photo

by dimitrispan Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

You can ask your hotel to save your equipment for you while touring the city... It is a pretty decent hotel... Or, you can put it in a back pack and take it with you... there is no danger during the day and in the night only a few places can be unsafe (like around Omonia square)... No danger while taking pictures whatsoever... Many people walk around with expensive cameras, including myself...

by StephanieW7 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

thank you! That is very Helpful :) I am not too worried about while I am out shooting just at the hotel. It is nice to know from a few of you that the hotel will hold the items for you!

• konstas's Profile Photo

by konstas Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Yes i was there last night. I walked around Plaka under Akropoli and it was great. Me and my wife left from there at midnight, and walked to Monastiraki metro station. Even that hour of the night you won't have any kind of problem. Avoid late at night Omonia and just take any simple logical precautions you take at your hometown. It is very unusuall something to be stolen from a hotel and if you want your camera and rolling bag with you just do it.When you come here, you will see with your own eyes that all they say about Athens is only rumour. Enjoy your stay and have fun.  

by StephanieW7 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM

konstas wrote:
    Yes i was there last night. I walked around Plaka under Akropoli and it was great. Me and my wife left from there at midnight, and walked to Monastiraki metro station. Even that hour of the night you won't have any kind of problem. Avoid late at night Omonia and just take any simple logical precautions you take at your hometown. It is very unusuall something to be stolen from a hotel and if you want your camera and rolling bag with you just do it.When you come here, you will see with your own eyes that all they say about Athens is only rumour. Enjoy your stay and have fun.  

Thanks! I was not worried about Athens at all until people started saying how it was dangerous. I am glad to hear that its not really that way. The bad part of town in any city can be dodgy so it that is to be expected. Thanks for all the helpful tips. 

• Crift's Profile Photo

by Crift Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Avoid the area around Omonoia square after dark. Other than that, Athens is not more nor less safe than any other European city. Regarding the strikes and demonstrations, yes, they can turn ugly since the police excessively use teargas which turn the city center into a gas chamber. And trust me, you don't want to be caught in the crossfire between demonstrators and riot squads.
    Always keep your handbag, camera bag etc in sight and under control. Since you are probably going to visit the tourist places, you are more eligible for pick pockets. Also, the metro is a pick pocket magnet.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines