Aswan Travel Answers

change location

Convoys to Abu Simbel for Sun Festival

by hocoheathbear Online Now Nov 4, 2007 at 8:38 PM

I am planning a trip to Egypt for the Sun Festival in February. I am planning on leaving from Aswan to Abu Simbel in the convoy on the day of the festival (February 22nd). I assume that the convoys would be extra large for the festival, but what time would they leave for the festival? What would the cost be to get transportation for the convoy?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • vdoortje's Profile Photo

Re: Convoys to Abu Simbel for Sun Festival

by vdoortje Online Now Nov 5, 2007 at 6:28 AM

Yes, there will be a lot of people going to Abu Simbel to experience this event. But I wonder if it will be worth your while..... Only a few people will be able to enter the tempel to see this happen and. I think that will be special invited people, not people like you and me. Maybe they will have camera's inside to show the "wonder" to people outside. But well, what is the wonder of seeing the sunlight fall on a few statues inside a tempel??

The charges to get there will be high, I don't know how much, and you will get very little value for your money!

Abu Simbel is an enchanting place. I once visited it by convoy surrounded by about 100+ busses, minivan's and taxi's. Arriving there with hundreds of people who all wanted to get inside at the same time. The tempels were crowded and it was hard to see around.
    Next time we went there by cruise ship from Aswan and it was magic! We had the place practically to our selves for the entire afternoon. The Sound and Light there is one of the best!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines