Asturias Travel Answers

change location

Base in Asturias

by annasontour Online Now May 30, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Hi there, I am going for a brief visit to Northern Spain (5 days), flying into Asturias / Oviedo. We are keen to have as good a look as possible as the different aspects of the region - beaches (Gijon, Cudillero perhaps), villages, towns and the mountains (Picos de Europa). I have previously travelled in the north east so don't need to return to places such as Santillana del Mar etc. My question is this - what do you believe is the best place to stay as a base for the region, or would staying in two different places for 2-3 days each be better - if so, where towns would you choose for these two bases?
Thanks for you help :-)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • PaulKirk's Profile Photo

Re: Base in Asturias

by PaulKirk Online Now Jun 2, 2007 at 2:17 AM

We stayed in Candas a small seaside village which has train and bus connections to both Oviedo and Gijon. Candas has a fishing harbour and no real beach but it has enough cafes and bars to use in the evenings. You can walk along the cliffs to the west but east is not possible beyond the lighthouse. Gijon has a large beach but didn't impress. God's eggcup overlooks the harbour from an old fortified site.
    Oviedo was more attractive and is definately worth a visit. The old town has some impressive buildings.
    We were only there 3 days so didn't have the chance to go further afield but it's a lovely area.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Asturias Travel Answer Locations