Astana Travel Answers

change location
Privyet2's Profile Photo

Going to Astana in May

by Privyet2 Online Now Apr 27, 2004 at 1:26 PM

What would be the shortest way to get to Astana from the US? Or from Western Europe? I tried the Internet search, and could not even get flight to Astana (Almaty is readily available). Do I have to fly to Almaty and then buy a plane ticket to Astana locally? Thanks everyone!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: Going to Astana in May

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 27, 2004 at 7:07 PM

Looking at my various flight search engines, I'm thinking you have two options: get there from Almaty, or get there from Moscow. The Almaty route will be the easiest--there are daily flights on Air Alma. (It also means that you can avoid having to get a Russian visa.) I didn't find a website for Air Alma, but I also didn't look too hard--there might be one. But I suspect you may have to just get the ticket when you arrive in Almaty. I'm heading to Kaz myself in two weeks (from Moscow) and then flying from Almaty to Istanbul on Turkish Air. There are several ways to get to Almaty, probably the simplest of which is to fly Lufthansa. I think there is a flight from Frankfurt. BTW, the airport code for Astana is TSE (the city used to be called Tselinograd).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Going to Astana in May

by EspritGirl Online Now Apr 28, 2004 at 7:01 AM

Probably it will be the shortest via Almaty than Moscow. There are frequent flights to Almaty by these airlines KLM, BA, LH, Turkish Airlines, Air Astana and there will be no problem with the tickets to Astana. Visit www.air-astana.kz , though i doubt they have online ticket reservation / sale. KLM: Amsterdam -Almaty (ALA) - Mon, Tue, Thur, Sat Dept at 14.20, Arr. 02.05 am Air Astana: Amsterdam - Almaty - Tue, Thur. Dept: 12.20, Arr. 02.30 am. Fri - Dept. 12.20 - 05.05 (seems to me it's not a direct flight) British Airways: London - Almaty - Tue, Fri, Sun. dept. 14.00-05.40am arr. Lufthansa flies daily from Frankfurt. I live in Almaty and let me know if you need any help. enjoy your trip!

by hardgate Online Now Oct 13, 2004 at 7:21 AM

try air-astana.kz

• RE: RE: Going to Astana in May

by robin_h282 Online Now Apr 10, 2005 at 7:53 AM

Air Astana run a flight from Amsterdam Airport on Tuesday and Thursdays. This stops at Atyrau (on the Caspian) and then continues to Alma Ata. This is quite a pleasant flight but expect to see a large number of oil and gas types on the flight who will all get off at Atyrau.

You might find it simplest to take a direct flight from one of the major European cities to Alma-Ata and then make a connecting flight to Astana. As someone has pointed out, check the air astana website.

• RE: Going to Astana in May

by Elfenreiter Online Now May 3, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Lufthansa is flying nonstop from Frankfurt to Astana twice weekly. From there they continue to Almaty.

So have fun and good luck.

by cbubba Online Now Apr 3, 2007 at 2:39 AM

Hi there. I lived in NYC until last November and go back often so I think I can give you some advice. I normally take Continental which flies from Newark straight to Frankfurt, from there I take Lufthansa direct to Astana. Lufthansa has only 2 flights to Astana, Mondays and Thursdays, the same on your return trip. Remember that you are going against the clock and we are here, 10 hours ahead of (in this case) NYC. You can also use Air Astana being able to book online if you wish, their site doesnt often work but when you manage to get in its as easy as any other airline online booking ! www.airastana.com
    Cheers and have a great trip!
    Celia

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Astana