Assen Travel Answers

change location
peaceness98's Profile Photo

Moving to the Netherlands

by peaceness98 Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 1:54 AM

After thinking i'll be moving to Aberdeen, my company decided to send me to Assen for 8 months I visited Amesterdam about 10 years ago and haven't been to the Netherlands since- this is also my first time working as an expat Any tips will be extremely helpful, but the ones i can think of so far are: 1. A colleague at work recommended living in Groningen and commuting to Assen for work- what is the distance? and is the public transportation good? 2. What are the reasonable rates for accomodation (I'm single) in both Assen and in Groningen? where are the better places to live in both (safety, close to shops/town, close to public transport, etc)? 3. Do i need to learn Dutch? 4. I can't live without the internet :-) - what are the best internet service providers?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Piggy73's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to the Netherlands

by Piggy73 Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 2:18 AM

Try this expat website - they have loads of useful information & a forum to post questions. www.expatica.com It's is not essential to apeak Dutch & in Amsterdam but when we lived there I knew the basics - for the train, cafes & shopping etc. All the bast PJL

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Moving to the Netherlands

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 9:35 AM

1. Groningen is a student city and has an excellent bar scene. If you are looking for young people, Groningen is the place to be. If you want to live in a more peaceful surrounding, stay close to Assen. Public transportation is OK: direct train connection 19 minutes travel time. Monthly ticket = Euro 131.00 (and you need some bus transportation at both sides too!) 2. Better places = higher rental rates. At makelaar.lokaalzoeken.nl/reg... you find some local house brokers. The first appartment I see = Euro 439.00 per month at Assen 3. Learning Dutch. Not really, but we appreciate the few Dutch lines you can master. 4. For all providers look at: http://provider.pagina.nl/ I have Essent broadband Internet via a cable modem (the same cable that provides the TV-channels). Broadband Internet = Euro 48.00 per month (400k/sec). Next to cable modem ADSL is popular; broadband speed is slightly less, compared to cable. PJ

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 10:27 AM

It's just a fact. We Dutchies will understand English. We care about our culture and I'm sure any foreigner with interest in the Dutch culture will learn some Dutch. Half a year is probably not enough to do that, but I recommend learning to count in Dutch and learn some basic lines. This is a guy that lived in many countries. For the few month he will spend here, I hardly can say he MUST learn Dutch. PJ

• Piggy73's Profile Photo

by Piggy73 Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 10:32 AM

It can be useful to learn a bit of Dutch - then you can shock the locals when then start talking about you & they definately don't expect you to understand ! PJL

• Re: Re: Moving to the Netherlands

by mrjemm Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 4:49 PM

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! ;-((( My parrot aint gonna sit on your shoulder any more. Spain´s more fun than Aberdeen, but still think you should´ve gone there!!! Have fun Babymuncher, Jem

• peaceness98's Profile Photo

by peaceness98 Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 11:51 PM

thanks everyone for your responses- Obviously I'll learn my one or two Dutch words to get by, but i doubt i can master the language in time :) Good to know most people understand English. Sounds like it's more economical to opt for living in Assen, close to workplace, and commuting to Groningen on weekends etc

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Oct 19, 2004 at 12:04 AM

My 2p: Assen -Groningen is 30 kms, connected by the motorway A28. That's a 30 minute drive (they are very strict on speeding in the northern provinces). Drenthe is a very nice province. Lots of people go on holiday there because of its rural setting. I'd guess Assen is a lot cheaper to live. Groningen is not only a major town, it is also a university town. Don't worry about safety, especially not in Assen. Yes, I think you should always try to learn the local language. It enriches your stay and understanding of the people. There are numerous courses to learn Dutch as a second language. If you go to Groningen, visit bookstore Scholtens Wristers and get some advice on which course to get. Get yourself a good English/Dutch, Dutch/English dictionary (the standard is Van Dale) or the software version of it. While you're in Assen and if you're into it, there's a racecourse (TT) and karting. In the province Drenthe (of which Assen is the capital), you'll find a lot of (pre)historic country life, as well as the famous dolmens (prehistoric stone graves). One of the world's best zoos (well, top 5 Europe anyway) is in Emmen. You'll enjoy living there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines