Aspen Travel Answers

change location
beatchfre's Profile Photo

Questions about Aspen

by beatchfre Online Now Oct 16, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Hi guys,

I live in Santa Fe, NM and my parents will be visiting me from Scotland in a few weeks. I'd like to take them on a wee road trip up to Colorado - the places that I'm looking at are Aspen, Telluride, and Ouray. I've been to Denver, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Durango so I'm kinda familiar with the roads... and the amount of deer/elk that I can expect to run in front of me :-)

My old man really wants to go to Aspen - I think he's watched too many movies and expects to bump into Hollywood's A-list. None of us ski! Well, I can ski, but I can't stop. We're not looking for fancy museums or art galleries - just nice pictureseque towns, with some local shops, decent bars with live music, not too expensive*. What would be your order of preference for our trip...

TRIP 1: Drive from Santa Fe->Silverton->Ouray->Telluride->Santa Fe (2 or 3 nights).
TRIP 2: Drive from Santa Fe to Aspen (2/3 nights).

If TRIP is the preference would you recommend spending both nights in Telluride, both nights in Ouray, or one in each?

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)

Cheers,
Lee

* by expensive, I mean I don't want to spend more that200 on a hotel room and50 a head for a meal.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Re: Questions about Aspen

by gfinesilver Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I'm from Aspen and I can tell you that your first itinerary looks more interesting. When are you going? there won't be too much going on in aspen at this time as it is pre-ski season really. but if you want quaint, interesting towns, silverton, ouray and telluride have more of that aspect then aspen does i think.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines