Aspen Travel Answers

change location

Highland bowl - how good do you have to be?

by mwdoyle Online Now Oct 14, 2007 at 4:20 AM

I am an intermediate skieer who regularly does black runs and the very occasional double black. I want to do the highland bowl (I think I'll be fine with the hiking aspect as I'm fit and enjoy it) - but just want to know how hard is it? Is it powder / moguls or just steep downhill? what's it comparable to?

Can someone pls describe the run as much as possible?

Matt curious

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Re: Highland bowl - how good do you have to be?

by gfinesilver Online Now Oct 15, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Part 1) Getting there: take the lifts to the top and continue straight towards Temerity until you get to the catterpiller staging area. take the cat and start walking (just follow the crowds). about an hour hike and you're at the top. this is high altitude hiking so make sure you're used to it and it is recommendable to have some sort of ski-holding backpack, but not required.
    Part 2) Getting down: as you can see, aspensnowmass.com/onmountain..., it is all double blacks in here and steep. if it snows a bunch then it stays soft in here for 2-3 days because you have to hike so far to get there. then it can turn into moguls. it is a very long run but well worth the effort so go. bring a friend.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines