Aspen Travel Answers

change location
prmass's Profile Photo

2 day stay in Aspen, Co for the summer

by prmass Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 5:43 PM

I doing the usual 2 week vacation that I take every year. Im doing a trip that is taking me to mt rushmore then to yellowstone and then to Aspen. I know this is a winter town but then again I always wanted to see Aspen in person and this is my only chance. What is there to do in the summer for 2 day stay?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

RE: 2 day stay in Aspen, Co for the summer

by zuriga Online Now Nov 8, 2006 at 1:31 AM

Aspen in summer is beautiful. Try to travel along the road leading out of town and towards the north... Continental Divide. The scenery is spectacular. We were only there on a daytrip from Vail.. sorry I can't tell you more. Maybe there is a lift to the top of one of the mountains and you can see the views. If nothing else, there are great restaurants!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Nov 8, 2006 at 6:18 AM

You can hit the Maroon Bells: gorgeous stuff. You can also take the ski lift up to the cirque. I believe the one in Aspen runs, but I know that the one in Snowmass does.
    Aspen is also a really nice town to just walk around in during the summer. The park and plaza areas are wonderful, and there are lots of great restaurants and shops to keep you busy. Good nightlife as well.
    You could also take a day trip out to Vail or Glenwood Springs which are both beautiful little towns.
    Hope that helps.

• Shaken_Bake's Profile Photo

by Shaken_Bake Online Now Nov 11, 2006 at 4:48 PM

Two days is perfect for a visit to Aspen in the summer - my husband and I spent a long weekend there in August and loved it! Maroon Bells must be the most picturesque mountain vista in Colorado, if not the world! When we were there, it was filled with every wildflower imaginable - unbelievably beautiful! You have to take a bus from Aspen Highlands during most days because the parking is very limited. The gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain does run all summer, but it did cost12 for the ride (if you hike to the top, the ride down is free!) If you have a car, drive up to the top of Independence Pass for breathtaking scenery. There is also a ghost town called Independence which you can visit en route to the top. Not for drivers with a fear of heights, though!

Aspen itself is a charming, pretty town with so much in the way of restaurants and bars and shopping. Keep your eyes peeled for celebrities - you never know who you'll run into! Another watering hole worth visiting is down the road a ways, the Woody Creek Tavern. It's the famous bar where the late, great Hunter S. Thompson hung out. There's lots of memorabilia of his there and the food and drink are good! Another activity would be the Aspen Music Festival which is on in July and August. There are many venues with music, much of it classical, and could cost a bit to get a seat. BUT, you can sit on the lawn outside the main music tent for free, with a picnic and wine - most excellent on a summer's night!

Hope you love Aspen as much as we do!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines