Aspen Travel Answers

change location
goingsolo's Profile Photo

hiking in Aspen

by goingsolo Online Now Feb 17, 2003 at 10:07 AM

I will be in Aspen in late May, 2003 and I'm planning a half day hike to either Cathedral Lake or American Lake. Has anyone been on either of these hikes and, if so, can you give me your thoughts? Thanks so much. Also, I was told that its a 4 hour drive from Aspen to Crested Butte. Is this true?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pkschack's Profile Photo

Re: hiking in Aspen

by pkschack Online Now Mar 6, 2003 at 7:18 PM

That depends on your vehicle. There is a jeep trail that will take you there considerably quicker. I believe it follows Taylor Pass. If you take this, if you get to the Ore transfer station you have gone too far. This road does require a four wheel drive however.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • coloradochris's Profile Photo

Re: hiking in Aspen

by coloradochris Online Now Feb 5, 2004 at 6:20 PM

Thrip from Aspen to MT. Crested Butte is only four hours of so if you stay on the main roads, meaning you have to travel around the mountian, but if you take one of the local passes you could probaly cut your time in have or less. The trail is not extreamly rough, but you will need a 4WD to get across, and if you decide to check the weather conditions in the area before you go, no need getting on the trail and having a snow storm while your up there, but the drive is really fun and has great views, have fun coloradochris

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines