Asmara Travel Answers

change location

Internet availability in Asmara?

by JohnandElla Online Now Sep 18, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Hi everyone,
We may be coming to live and work in Asmara for the next 3-4 years. Can anybody tell us what are internet connections availability and speeds like? We will be living in a rented house in the city and would really like to be able to use Skype to keep in touch with family and friends. Any other hints and advice will be welcome also!
Thanks John and Ella

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Internet availability in Asmara?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Sep 18, 2012 at 4:22 AM

When i was in Asmara (in August) the internet was among the slowest i've ever experienced anywhere in the world. That said, i used the WiFi at hotels and only tried 1 internet cafe, so i would not call myself an 'expert'

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: Internet availability in Asmara?

by sphynxxs Online Now Sep 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I have not been in Eritrea, but travelled extensively in the region, so my informed guess is:

1.) speed will certainly be slow, and interruptions, as well as power cuts (if you have a broadband connection and no umts modem). I do not think Eritrea is connected to the seaƶlink cable like Kenya, Tanzania etc. I have a broadband connection at my place in Nairobi, and you can absolutelyforget about VoIP quality on skype. Typed chat works, as long as the internet is up.

2.) Eritrea is not exactly the most democratic state in the region. As police states go, they often censor the internet (happens a good deal in Ethiopia), some service might either not be available or be monitored. It might possibly also affect the availability of internet.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines