Asmara Travel Answers

change location

Eritrea Institute of Technology

by samdg Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Hey friends !!

I am from India, and may be going to Eritrea as a lecturer in the Eritrea Institute of Technology early next year. Since its an absolutely new place for me, I wonder how it would be for an outsider to settle there. It would also be of great help if somebody can throw some light on the cost of living over there.

Thanks.
Samik.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Eritrea Institute of Technology

by ranger49 Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Sorry I have no personal experience of Eritrea but while you wait for replies you may find this site helpful -

expat-blog.com/en/destinatio...

Perhaps the Institute has a Department of Human Resources or something to do with staff welfare that couldalso advise you?
    Good Luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Eritrea Institute of Technology

by samdg Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Hey, thanks a lot for your help. I would definitely go through it !!

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

You are very welcome - and again Best of Luck in your new job.

• georeiser's Profile Photo

by georeiser Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM

The answer to your question how it would be to settle in Eritrea is subjective. But I believe you might be surprised how friendly and polite the Eritreans are, but also how boring it could be to live in a country with restrictions on the daily life. Eritrea is Africa's most secretive country. Moving around in the country is restricted for foreigners, and you need a permit to leave the capital.
    Eritrea is very cheap if you have the possibility to change dollar on the black marked. Changing your money at banks, etc. will give you half the rate. Read my tips and advices on money changing in Asmara. Here are some examples when the money is changed on the black marked: A bottle of local beer or a Coke at a café less than one USD. A basic hotel is 10 USD. Pizza at a restaurant is 5 USD.

• Re: Eritrea Institute of Technology

by perpetualmotion Online Now Jan 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Difficult one, depends very much on what you need out of life.. Asmara is a difficult place to live. Is EIT in Asmara or outside? This is VERY important. It is is outside, forget it - you will literally be in the middle of nowhere. If in Asmara - there is not much to do, and food supplies are very basic. But, its survivable. It depends how badly you need the job, just bear in mind Asmara is considered a hardship post, and with reason. I would perhaps ask yourself, would you be prepared to move to a small town in North Korea... if yes, then yes, if no.. you need to think carefully.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines