Asia Travel Answers

change location
iamivyleague's Profile Photo

Bangkok to Vientiane

by iamivyleague Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Hi everyone! Does any of you tried to travel by bus from Bangkok to Vientiane through Transport Company in Thailand. How was your experience, please share!I tried to send them email about my queries but it seems the email address is incorrect. Hope to hear from you guys, especially the locals! :)

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Bangkok to Vientiane

by davidjo Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quite often emails are not replied to by these companies as they get so many of them. There are plenty of long distance overnight buses to Nong Khai which have reclining seats and are very comfortable. They usually stop once for a break at a highway restaurant. I just lookedat the transport company website and the photo of the bus to Vientiane is similar to the buses to Nong Khai so you will be very comfortable.
    bangkokpost.com/breakingnews...
    home.transport.co.th/th/inte...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • iamivyleague's Profile Photo

by iamivyleague Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Thanks on your reply! I've read blogs about overnight bus to Nong Khai, I just wanted to know if of anyone here tried Transport Company. I attempted to send email to them but it's undeliverable.

• jonsintown's Profile Photo

by jonsintown Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Hi You should have no problem booking the bus ticket(s) when you are in Thailand. Any local travel office and most hotels and hostels will assist or point you in the right direction. Personally, I would not recommend paying for anything like that in advance over the internet.

Journey one way could  be up to 12 hours with a couple of stops. Are you sure you want to travel all that way by bus both there and back? There is a more comfortable overnight train service from Bangkok to Nong khai, (Thai border town) and visa versa 7 days a week if you wanted to go or come back a different way.

So to my experience of the bus option, it was a few years ago and I can't remember the exact cost but it was cheap, a lot cheaper than the train, that was until I messed up.

It was not by choice but by economic necessity I took the bus option from the center of Vientiane to Bangkok Khosan Road. I booked and purchased the ticket through the hotel reception in Vientiane. It was an overnight service costing around 600 baht in total.( Basically the all inclusive bus price from Vientiane all the way to Bangkok equates to around half the price of a one way 2nd class train ticket from Non Khai to Bangkok).

1. At around 5:30 in the afternoon a small minibus all ready full of backpackers - and nice people too - came to pick me up at the hotel. From there we went to pick up other customers from their respective hotels and guesthouses before driving to the border on the Friendship bridge about 20 minutes away.

2. To process everyone leaving Laos, and driving to, and queuing again at the Thai immigration on the other side of the bridge took about another 90 minutes. Then the same mini bus took us to a road side restaurant on the outskirts of Nong khai for evening dinner before I boarded one of those big double decker type bus coaches for the long journey to Bangkok and we set off just as it was starting to get dark.

3. Sat chatting to some new travelers I had met then at about an hour into the journey I was asked to produce my ticket by the bus ticket inspector. Basically back in that roadside restaurant I had boarded the first bus coach I saw with a sign to Bangkok on the front which was the wrong bus. To add further to this humiliation I could not at the time find my original ticket which would have at least justified the fact that I had made a genuine mistake rather than be suspected of trying to dodge the fare.

4. I had to pay the full fare again and probably a bit more on top of that to the bus ticket inspector who looked genuinely quite angry and being night time traveling through the Thai countryside in the middle of nowhere basically had a lot of power over me so it was time to go into Thai survival mode and act humble, apologize and speak softly not raising my voice.

5.Jaded and feeling as stiff as hell,  pulled up in Bangkok Khosan Road at around 5 in the morning or around 11 and a half hours after leaving Vientiane, about the same time it takes to fly on Thai airways from London non stop to Bangkok.

Whatever way you choose to go, enjoy.

1 member found this helpful

by iamivyleague Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Thanks on your reply and your concern as well! I dont have plan to purchase bus ticket in advance, more so over the internet since I dont use credit card! :) And dont have plan either to purchase roundtrip bus ticket from Bkk to Vte, I'm travelling Asia and Bkk-Vte is just one of my route. Anyway, thanks on sharing your experience. :)

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I wouldn't buy tickets online because of your traveling schedule. It's easy to just buy it at the station as plans might change.

Cheers tommy x

by iamivyleague Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Again, I dont have plans of buying tickets online since I dont have a credit card.

• mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM

There are many companies that do this route, not only the Thai Transport Company, which is a state-owned business. You'll see when you arrive at the northern bus terminal (Mo Chit). Definitely get an VIP bus or at least first class. VIP bus is more expensive but has larger seats with more leg room and has fewer seats. Second class bus is the cheapest and stops every time there is someone flagging down the bus or someone wanting to get off.

If you are going to Vientienne, why not spend a night or two in Nong Khai? It is a nice small border town by the river...very relaxing.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Asia Travel Answer Locations