Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• tattoo parlor

Boone Apr 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM

can you get a tattoo in boone

more
    • Beach Access

Nags Head Apr 2, 2014 at 4:11 AM

It looks like our rental is closet to the Curlew Beach Access mp 11.8 (2 blocks from beach access, Memorial Ave.). I see this access has a water fall pipe and is about 6 houses down from the pier. Does anyone have any experience w/ area? I didn't realize the beach location until after renting the house for June. I was wondering if I should seek other accesses such as E. Hollowell St. and drive instead of the short walk to the beach? I am quite disappointed in finding this news out:( Advice would be appreciated.

more
    • Travel Time on I-77

Charlotte 21 hours ago

I will be working near Tyvola Rd. in south charlotte. I can get a great deal on a place right outside uptown. What am I looking at in terms of commuting during the week? It is technically 15 miles away.

more
    • Car Rentals from Vegas to Southern Utah

North Carolina Mar 31, 2014 at 4:08 AM

We're planning ten days in Southern Utah to see the 5 Natl. Parks and several other sites. Can cars be rented in Vegas and driven into Southern Utah? I assume so but can't find confirmation on any rental car web site.

more
    • How much time should I allot for different cities.

Lisbon Apr 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM

We land in Lisbon and I've booked first four nights there. I've also booked three nights in Porto and was undecided how to spend last five days. Now I'm wondering if we should just go straight to Porto then after four days in and around that area, working our way south towards Lisbon. While north I'd like to include stops at Viana do Castelo, and Braga. Then heading south and stopping at Coimbra, Fatima, Evora, and then Lisbon, with Sintra and Cascasis. Does anyone have a suggestion in which order I should do each city? How long will I need to see everything? Am I trying to fit too much into one day. We will not be renting a car, but using train or buses.

more
    • Public transportation inAshvellie

by Oneel Online Now Sep 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

How to move around near by trek sites public transport

1 Answer Sep 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM
    • Packing for late Spring

by sagira Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Hello, everyone:

I've never been to Asheville, NC before, but I'll be visiting most likely from late May to early June (two weeks). I read that the climate in the mountains can change from one hour to the next. Coming from the Florida Keys, I'm not used to cooler weather. Should I pack mostly long sleeved shirts, sweaters and jeans? I have a jacket or two, but not much in terms of layer clothing. Does it get hot as well during this time? I don't want to be too hot either. I plan on doing some hikes.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Carolyn

2 Answers Mar 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    • If I can only have one breakfast in Asheville....

by tarheelblue Online Now Jan 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

where should it be. I have never been to AsheVegas. Looking forward to it, even though its only 36 hours. Staying downtown, so have a preference to eat there, but West Asheville on the way out is not out of the question.

For downtown joints EarlyGirl and TupeloHoney get all the press and I suppose rightly so. Also heard about a place "Overeasy" too?

Many say head straight for SunnyPoint in west asheville. So I am flummoxed.

Normally I try to steer clear of places that are primarily frequented by tourists as I would guess EG and TH are...but maybe thats not a fair guess. And if somethings good.....its good.

Anyone familiar that can compare and contrast? Would be a Tuesday AM by the way.

cheers

2 Answers Jan 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    • transportation

by epo Online Now Mar 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM

There is a bus from Knoxville (TN) to Asheville (NC) all saturday morning from 8 am?

2 Answers Mar 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM
    • lizzytex's Profile Photo

March in Asheville

by lizzytex Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 10:18 AM

My family and I will be in Asheville in mid-March. The "average" weather temps are showing between 40 and 60 degrees. That's quite a range! Can anyone tell me what the weather is actually like in mid-March? Also, any ideas on things to do if it's too cold to be outside? We already have the Biltmore on the agenda, but not sure what else there is to do. Are there any cool towns nearby worth a visit? As an FYI: we can't do anything too strenuous as we'll have my 70 year old father with us. Thanking you in advance!!

3 Answers Nov 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    • Fall Foliage

by jameskiley Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM

When is the best time to watch the leaves turn in the Asheville area. We will be there on October 3, 2011 and hope it is not too early.
      Thank you

3 Answers Aug 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    • Irish female interested in volunteering or working in Asheville this summer - Any ideas?

by CoralStar Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Hi I would love to visit Asheville this summer for a few months and wondered if there are any long term volunteering opportunities there for non US citizens or employers that would consider hiring international applicants? I am Irish and would love to live or work or volunteer in America but it seems like an impossible task! If you are a student you can get a J1 Visa but if not its very difficult. I am in my 30s and already have 2 University degrees so no longer a student. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Otherwise it will just be a holiday but would absolutely love a summer job there!

3 Answers Apr 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    • mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Things to do - 2 days in Asheville

by mmyerspa Online Now Aug 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I'll be in Asheville for a weekend in September, and I'm looking for ideas on things to do. Here are my interests:

Architecture / walking tour
      Hiking
      Independent restaurants
      History / culture

Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

I'm also looking for a unique, reasonable accommodations.

Thanks in advance to the great VT community!

8 Answers Jan 29, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

Biltmore House, Asheville

by csuresh Online Now Mar 20, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I need some suggestion on touring Biltmore House. It look beautiful in web but I want to know whether it is worth to travel with my wife and 2 little kids on a one day visit to this house and antler hill village nearby. I will be travelling from Charlotte. Experiences of other visitors will help me to make a decision.

6 Answers Jun 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    • bars that accomodate smokers?

by tarheelblue Online Now Feb 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Will be in Asheville for a few days. I know that NC is smoke free now so smoking at a bar is not permitted but I have someone in my party who is a smoker. So for those of you that live or have traveled to Asheville, are there any bars or restaurants that have patios or other places they accommodate smokers. I am thinking outdoor heaters or tents. Any info is appreciated. Cheers.

1 Answer Feb 13, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    • mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Marriott Hotels - which is best location?

by mmyerspa Online Now Sep 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I am planning a trip to Asheville, and will be using Marriott points for my hotel. So...I can use the Fairfield, Springhill, Marriott, Renaissance, or Courtyard hotels. There are several in the area...can someone give me background regarding which is the best location (safe, close to attractions)? Also, if you can give insight into which is a nice hotel, that would be great, too.

Residence Inn 701 Biltmore Avenue
      Courtyard One Buckstone Place
      Springhill Two Buckstone Place
      Renaissance 31 Woodfin Street
      Fairfield 11 Rocky Ridge Road
      Fairfield 31 Airport Park Road, Fletcher
      Fairfield 568 Painttown Road, Cherokee

2 Answers Sep 13, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    • Fall Trip Questions

by MHBacker Online Now Jul 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Asheville area in October and spending approximately 8 days. Is there a best time to see fall colors? Considering the many things to do and see we are wondering whether we should base our whole time in Asheville and take day trips or split it between Boone or someplace else? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also any recommendations for restaurants. We are foodies and enjoy new experiences.

5 Answers Sep 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM
    • Please help with things to do in Asheville, NC

by Meenie123456 Online Now Sep 28, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Hi!
      My husband and I will be visiting Asheville the third week of October in anticipation of the birth of our first grandchild!! :) We've never been to Asheville before (daughter recently moved there) and since we're staying a week, we want to do a few things while there. We know about Biltmore of course :) but when we try to look up things to do there, it turns out most of the things listed are 50 miles or more away! Are there things to do close to Asheville? There's a train ride that looked interesting but that was a good ways away also :(
      Also good restaurants and bead stores (I'm a beader :) )
      Thanks for any help you may have to offer!
      Meenie

6 Answers Jan 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    • Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Good Place For a VT Meet in Asheville?

by Karnubawax Online Now Sep 20, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Hi!

I'll be doing a trip through the Blue Ridge Parkway area in late October, and wonder if anyone had any suggestions for a good meeting place in Asheville?

I'll be spending probably 3 days in the Asheville area around the weekend of October 24-26.

Thanks!

David

1 Answer Sep 20, 2008 at 4:41 AM
    • rahul126's Profile Photo

Asheville: vegan friendly?

by rahul126 Online Now Mar 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Hi all!
      I'm a vegan from New Zealand and am traveling to NC with my mother later this year, spedning most of our time in Asheville. I have never been to the USA, let alone a smaller city in the south and was wondering how vegan-friendly it is likely to be? I've heard a lot of sterotypes about Southern cooking and its use of animal products. I'm particularly worried about the prevalance of animal fats used for cooking. Is this likely to be an issue and can anyone recommend any good vegetarian/vegan restaurants?
      Thanks heaps! :)

5 Answers Mar 29, 2008 at 7:42 PM
    • RESTURANT

by TATER7373 Online Now Nov 28, 2007 at 5:56 PM

I WONT TO NOW IF THERE IS SOME REALLY FANCY RESTURANT IN ASHEVILE,NC NEAR THE BILTMORE ESTATES.IF THERE IS CAN YOU SEND ME DIFFERANT TYPES

• Best Fall Color Scenic Drive?

by zarkheba Online Now Sep 25, 2007 at 7:37 PM

I would like to get some opinions on where to find the best scenic drives in western North Carolina. I am familiar with the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherahola Scenic Hwy. I need more info to add to my NCMountainFun.com website.

• ashamar18's Profile Photo

Asheville, North Carolina in one day!

by ashamar18 Online Now Jun 30, 2007 at 10:56 PM

Me and 3 other adults are going to Asheville, NC August 2007.
      We are staying in South Carolina Upcountry for a week.
      We want to visit Asheville one day out of our stay.
      We want to see "Biltmore Estate" on that day but would like to venture out to " Downtown Asheville" for dinner. Any suggestions? No tourist traps pls.
      Also since we have just have one day to vist Biltmore- is anybody out there who could tell me how to do it in that amt of time. What shd I really see and not waste my time seeing!
      Any and all suggestions will be helpful. I would like to hear from people who live there or who have visited there. Thank you.

2 Answers Mar 18, 2008 at 2:32 PM
    • hadleybe's Profile Photo

Spring Weekend in Asheville

by hadleybe Online Now Mar 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Hello, My longtime friend and I are planning a weekend reunion, meeting in Asheville. Looking for suggestions regarding best areas to stay that will allow us to walk, sip drinks or beer at cafe restaurant or pub, browse shops featuring work of local folk artists, hear some live folk music, acoustic guitar, etc. Would the Urban Trail be our destination? Or the Arcade Grove?(unable to access website to look at this area) Any other ideas? And can anyone suggest a hotel or B&B located within walking distance to these areas? Moderate priced (maximum150/night). Looking more for a liberal, quaint area rather than urban yuppie, if that makes sense. Not terribly interested in fancy malls, for example. Would prefer a room with two beds which might rule out B&Bs but would like to hear of suggestions anyway. I'm looking into a performance at the Orange Peel one night. Are there hotels near there? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2 Answers May 3, 2007 at 4:10 PM
    • rental cabins

by magnolia4 Online Now Jan 19, 2007 at 9:42 AM

I'm planning a family reunion along with graduation celebration the dates of May 18, 19 and 20. We're looking for a large cabin/house/lodge with at least four bedrooms and two full bathrooms, cooking facilities, a porch and some land for walking, clean and comfortable. Anywhere within fifteen minutes of the Asheville area would be fine.
      Can anyone offer any suggestions?
      Thanks.

2 Answers May 3, 2007 at 4:21 PM
    • Schools in Asheville

by jlruss95 Online Now Dec 19, 2006 at 6:09 PM

I'm moving to Asheville and am interest in your opinions or facts about the Buncombe County Elementary Schools. Our home is in Leicester, NC, just north of downtown Asheville.

Any thoughts on public vs. private schools?

2 Answers Mar 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM
    • Do you know of a decent priced day tour from Charlotte to Biltmore Estates?

by alinaab Online Now Nov 17, 2006 at 8:38 PM

Do you know of a decent priced day tour from Charlotte to Biltmore Estates? Thanks.

• The "Packet"

by PhoenixLynn Online Now Oct 26, 2006 at 11:31 AM

I'm considering moving to Asheville. I've never been there before, yet I've heard great things about it. I was born and raised in Florida (where I currently reside) and I lived in Ithaca, NY. Ithaca is a beautiful progressive town, yet coooooooooooooold. I feel Asheville would be a great move and a wonderful place to raise my son (and I hear the weather is mild). I ordered a packet through the Chamber of Commerce and I'm disappointed. It seems the housing there is quite expensive. Maybe they just put the more expensive housing in the packet to draw that type of person to Asheville? It's the suburban neighborhoods like "The Oak" or "The Sanctuary" where they cut down almost all the trees I want to escape from. I strive to live as natural as possible, grow most of my own food including sprouting. Heck, even make biodiesel in my garage! I'm just bummed by ths package. Of course, I'll go visit and get a feel for myself. Is there housing there for under100K for a 3 bd/ 2 bath on 1 acre?? I hear W. Asheville. But what towns? Thanks. =)

1 Answer Jan 5, 2007 at 7:32 AM
    • Bike Trails

by chachacheech Online Now Oct 26, 2006 at 11:06 AM

My husband and I are thinking of moving from Western Ma. to Asheville..we enjoy biking and there is a great rail trail here in Ma. I was wondering what biking trails exist around Asheville? I am not interested in mountain biking just biking on a paved surface, hopefully not where there is traffic.

1 Answer Apr 8, 2007 at 8:31 PM
    • MOVING TO NORTH CAROLINA

by CAROLINABOUND Online Now Aug 22, 2006 at 7:21 AM

ASHEVILLE SEEMS SO EXPENSIVE. I WANT TO MOVE FROM HOUSTON TO WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA, IS THERE A CHEAPER AREA THAT HAS THE BEAUTY OF THE MOUNTAINS? I AM A PHOTOGRAPHER, WHAT ABOUT JOBS IN THAT AREA? THANKS

1 Answer Sep 20, 2006 at 7:31 PM
    • Moving to Asheville--retiree

by Jessie99 Online Now Aug 21, 2006 at 5:58 PM

I hope that someone who lives in Asheville will answer this. I am moving to Asheville because I like mountains and have no kids or grandkids to move towards like so many retirees. I wonder how easy it is for oldster females to make good friends. I mean friends, not just acquaintances. Is it unrealistic to move to a place where you know no one if you are no longer a spring chicken??! Thanks.

• Possible move to Asheville

by bludaizie Online Now Aug 8, 2006 at 12:09 PM

I noticed there have already been a few postings about moving to Asheville however, I may be a bit diff then what I saw on here.

A little about me: I have lived in Atlanta for the past 4 yrs before that I roamed around after college living a bit of a gyspy life style. Currently 29 yr old female and thinking of moving to Asheville. I am up in the mtns every weekend b/c I enjoy the outdoors A LOT as well as an avid kayaker in which I have decided why not move up there which seems to be a perfect fit for me. I have visited a few times and spent last weekend up there feeling out the city and have some questions.

I understand that Asheville is a small city but can you tell me how is the city life, the night life as well as people being out and about in the evenings, i'm more of a dinner/drinks type of girl more then clubbing it fyi? I def have a LARGE hippy side to me however, I do also enjoy 'some' main stream stuff as well at times, how welcoming is this community? Does the community tend to be you are either this or you are that, you're a straight hippy or you're a main streamer.. black/white type of thing? I am a person who loves an erray of things and would love to find a place w/similar style hince I have not found that in Atlanta. What can I expect to pay for a 1 bedrm lets say 1000 sq ft apt in downtown, are there even places downtown to live? Also, I have noticed it seems like a good bit of Asheville people are coupled up, is there a single scene there as well or are most people here to settle w/their little families leaving it mostly impossible to meet other singles in my age range? Any thoughts/ideas would be great! Thanks!!

4 Answers Sep 20, 2006 at 7:22 PM

by bludaizie Online Now Aug 8, 2006 at 10:35 AM

I noticed there have already been a few postings about moving to Asheville however, I may be a bit diff then what I saw on here.

A little about me: I have lived in Atlanta for the past 4 yrs before that I roamed around after college living a bit of a gyspy life style. Currently 29 yr old female and thinking of moving to Asheville. I am up in the mtns every weekend b/c I enjoy the outdoors A LOT as well as an avid kayaker in which I have decided why not move up there which seems to be a perfect fit for me. I have visited a few times and spent last weekend up there feeling out the city and have some questions.

I understand that Asheville is a small city but can you tell me how is the city life, the night life as well as people being out and about in the evenings, i'm more of a dinner/drinks type of girl more then clubbing it fyi? I def have a LARGE hippy side to me however, I do also enjoy 'some' main stream stuff as well at times, how welcoming is this community? Does the community tend to be you are either this or you are that, you're a straight hippy or you're a main streamer.. black/white type of thing? I am a person who loves an erray of things and would love to find a place w/similar style hince I have not found that in Atlanta. What can I expect to pay for a 1 bedrm lets say 1000 sq ft apt in downtown, are there even places downtown to live? Also, I have noticed it seems like a good bit of Asheville people are coupled up, is there a single scene there as well or are most people here to settle w/their little families leaving it mostly impossible to meet other singles in my age range? Any thoughts/ideas would be great! Thanks!!

by bludaizie Online Now Aug 8, 2006 at 9:46 AM

• Traveling alone to Asheville?

by JennLynd Online Now Jun 6, 2006 at 9:04 AM

Suggestions for where to stay & things to do (besides Biltmore of course!) in Asheville for a female traveling alone?
      I'd love to stay at smaller inn or B&B, but am on an extreme budget! Safety is MAJOR factor.

Are there any cute country festivals/ fairs during summertime?

Trying to go for a little retreat & alone time.

3 Answers Jul 18, 2006 at 3:14 PM