Asheville Travel Answers

change location
hadleybe's Profile Photo

Spring Weekend in Asheville

by hadleybe Online Now Mar 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Hello, My longtime friend and I are planning a weekend reunion, meeting in Asheville. Looking for suggestions regarding best areas to stay that will allow us to walk, sip drinks or beer at cafe restaurant or pub, browse shops featuring work of local folk artists, hear some live folk music, acoustic guitar, etc. Would the Urban Trail be our destination? Or the Arcade Grove?(unable to access website to look at this area) Any other ideas? And can anyone suggest a hotel or B&B located within walking distance to these areas? Moderate priced (maximum150/night). Looking more for a liberal, quaint area rather than urban yuppie, if that makes sense. Not terribly interested in fancy malls, for example. Would prefer a room with two beds which might rule out B&Bs but would like to hear of suggestions anyway. I'm looking into a performance at the Orange Peel one night. Are there hotels near there? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Spring Weekend in Asheville

by rbowenspecialfinds Online Now Apr 8, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Hello,

You sound like you would be spending your time in the downtown area. YOu mentioned the orange Peel and it is situated within 1/4 to 1/2 mile of everything that you would basically like to do.

There is art to look at, plenty of bars and places to dine, there are pastry shops and such. It is just a neat place to be and in the warm months of the year it is HOPPING all the time with people and such. Grove Arcade is within this area as well.

I have lived here all of my life, so I am pretty much aware of the area and I frequently talk to and help folks from out of town as I work in the real estate business.

Hopes this helps

Ricky Bowen

www.specialfinds.com

THe renaissance motel is also within walking distance of these areas. you can go online at www.renaissanceuk.com and find out more information.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Spring Weekend in Asheville

by magnolia4 Online Now May 3, 2007 at 4:10 PM

There aren't many places within walking distance of the city itself which is odd, considering how popular the city is. Don't stay at the Days Inn downtown. I gave it two tries because of where it is but it's rundown, dirty and despite it's excellent location, very questionable. I'm not faint of heart and I really wanted it to work, but if you don't want to bring bedbugs home, forget it. Maybe a bed and breakfast site will find you something within walking distance. Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines