Asheville Travel Answers

change location

Looking for liberal small town close to Asheville

by Harveyrae Online Now Apr 15, 2005 at 7:33 PM

I'm thinking of moving to Asheville, but would like to live 30-45 minutes from the city. I recently visited, but couldn't find any place where there might be any somewhat progressive folks (culture, politics, art) except for in the city. Does anyone know of any smaller towns nearby, especially in the mountains, that might be at least slightly liberal?
THANKS!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pilgrim55's Profile Photo

RE: Looking for liberal small town close to Asheville

by pilgrim55 Online Now Apr 16, 2005 at 3:05 AM

Culture, politics and art take on a different pace in the mountains. A sweeter generally more gentle pace - there are many artists and artisans in the mountains and a wide variety of music. We saw a group of young children playing violins (they were taking Suzuki method lessons and were very good at the age of 3, 4 and 5 already) at a local celebration in Dillsboro as well as folks of all ages playing bluegrass and country. It is not unusual to hear strains of classical music coming from cabins. Folks in the mountains have a strong independent spirit and do their own thing. As for politics, we've tried to stay away from discussing those matters in the mountains - so I can't comment on that. Check out Dillsboro and Brasstown. Also around Highland, NC. We haven't been north of Asheville, but there might be places up that way. Just be a good neighbor.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Looking for liberal small town close to Asheville

by fl2nc2fl Online Now Oct 28, 2005 at 10:35 AM

that'll be hard to find --- honestly. asheville is sodom in the middle of mayberry. other than asheville, very "red state" in the mountains.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines