Asheville Travel Answers

change location

Packing for late Spring

by sagira Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Hello, everyone:

I've never been to Asheville, NC before, but I'll be visiting most likely from late May to early June (two weeks). I read that the climate in the mountains can change from one hour to the next. Coming from the Florida Keys, I'm not used to cooler weather. Should I pack mostly long sleeved shirts, sweaters and jeans? I have a jacket or two, but not much in terms of layer clothing. Does it get hot as well during this time? I don't want to be too hot either. I plan on doing some hikes.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Carolyn

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Packing for late Spring

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM

My wife and I were in the Asheville area for a couple of days in October, 2009. We found the days there rather pleasant, but we are from the colder north of Chicago. My wife has relatives that live in South Florida and I remember when they would come up to visit us in July that they would still bring a sweater because it was too cool for them. So with that introduction and seeing that you are from the very south of Florida I would say the long sleeve shirts and sweaters and jeans are a must. Also if you are going to be hiking especially in the hills and small mountains around the area it will be a bit cooler then in the areas below.

Your other question will it get hot? That is obviously hard to predict and what's hot for me (anything above 80 degrees) might not necessarily be hot for you. I would check out weather.com before you leave on your trip and take a look at the 10 days forecast for the Asheville area.

As long as I'm at it let me recommend a great little town about 20 miles from Asheville where we actually ended up staying while we were there for 3 days. Waynesville, NC has a very nice little downtown area with a number of artisans and some really great little restaurants.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Re: Packing for late Spring

by HasTowelWillTravel Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Being in the mountains, Asheville is generally a cooler climate than the rest of the state. In the late spring-early summer time that you're talking about the days should be warm, but the evenings and nights and mornings will probably be fairly cool. I would bring a sweatshirt/fleece for the nighttime. There is also a fair bit of rain this time of year, so definitely bring some wet weather gear just in case.

As for hiking, it depends on how you are when you hike. I'm a very warm hiker, so even in early spring I'm usually just in a t-shirt and doing great moving up and down the trails, but most people would probably want to have a light covering for the hikes, since you might be in shade a lot of the time or facing a breeze. Just in case, always better to have one at your side.

But, as Riorich said above, keep an eye on the weather a week or so out to see what's in store for you. It could turn into an abnormally hot or cold May for us (winter has seemingly lingered longer than usual here, so who knows). Either way, enjoy the stay, and if there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to ask!

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines