Aruba Travel Answers

change location
ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Westin Hotel to restaurants

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM

How much money should I budget for transportation (taxi, public bus, or hire car), as my wife and I do not prefer to eat at hotels. Also, are there any must not miss restaurants?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Re: Westin Hotel to restaurants

by Dabs Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:09 AM

http://arubus.com/
    It looks like they take cash or smart cards, the cash fare is $2.30US (or 4 florins) each ride

My restaurant tips are probably too old for you to use but El Gaucho is still getting good marks

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I was hoping you would be the first to respond! I will definitely do my best to refresh the pages when I am down there!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Cocoa3C's Profile Photo

by Cocoa3C Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Hi! We just came back from three weeks in Aruba. The first week we bussed and walked. We only took cabs if we had too many groceries. Cabs are a bit expensive for every day use. The bus is great for going downtown, but there are places you can't get to with the bus. I believe it's $2.40 per ride now. Smart cards are for residents only. From the Westin you can walk to many places: the butterfly farm, Bubali bird sanctuary, lots of restaurants and the high rise hotels and beaches. Walking along the boardwalk there is great!
    As for restaurants, there are so many good ones. Here's a few I liked: A Taste of Belgium in the Palm Beach plaza had tasty food at good mid range prices, nice to go there in the evening with the gentle breeze blowing through. Try the lava cake! The Dutch Pancake House in the Renaissance Market Place ( this is in the shopping area over the bridge downtown and on the sea side near the fishing yachts. Delicious thin style pancakes with many topping choices and mini pancakes...yum! It has lovely al fresco dining out of the stiff wind. The prices are reasonable. You can walk to the pier from there; in the day time there are lots of cool iguanas sunning on the rocks. Iguana Joes upstairs in the Royal Plaza is fun with a great view of the port and any cruise ships. Moomba's just north of the Holiday Inn on the beach is fun and the food is good. Reasonable prices. One favourite was the Flying Fishbone. This was my expensive pick. It's located in Savaneta, so you'd have to take a cab there. The setting is right on the beach and some tables are actually at the water's edge, so you can dangle your feet in if you like. The food is good, and the ambience is fantastic. Make reservations for around 5:30pm, so you get to watch the sunset. Once it gets dark, they turn on the lights that shine into the sea which attracts fish that will leap out of the water...very cool. I had a good lobster bisque there. Here is a great restaurant guide which has different categories. It also breaks them down by price. We found many good ones in the Budget section. http://www.restaurantsaruba.com/ I hope you have a fantastic time...it's really hard not to in Aruba :)
    God Bless, Arlette

• Cocoa3C's Profile Photo

by Cocoa3C Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM

PS, here's is a chart of cab fares. Cabs don't have meters, the fares are set. Just ask the price before you go. aruba.com/sigma/pdf/Aruba_Ta...

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Wow Arlette... thanks! What a great response.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Aruba Travel Answer Locations