Armenia Travel Answers

change location
missalg's Profile Photo

Ten days or so in Armenia in July; Yerevan plus ?

by missalg Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Hello!
I am hoping to travel to Armenia in July, being there for Vardavar (July 7 this year, I believe?) My plan is to stay for five or six days in Yerevan in an apartment and travel out from there on day trips, and then to go to another "base" location and do day trips from there as well. I was thinking of possibly Goris or Dilijan for this, but I am quite open to suggestions...or would it make just as much sense to stay in Yerevan the whole time? I will probably be going on to Moscow for a few days at the end of the trip, and altogether (with travel time) I will have 16 or 17 days.

I am 48, female, and will most likely be traveling solo. I'm used to solo/independent travel; I don't drive, so I'll need to use public transportation/day tours. I like to walk and am interested in history/culture/nature, not so much nightlife or beaches. (Not that this is so much an issue with Armenia.)

Thanks for any help or suggestions you would like to give!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bugulma's Profile Photo

Re: Ten days or so in Armenia in July; Yerevan plus ?

by bugulma Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 6:20 AM

hi
    I visited Armenia last year, staying for 3 days in Yerevan. We did the day trips by taxi we got in the streets (the hotel offer was 4-5 times more expensive :-)). The problem for you could be if you don't speak Russian or Armenian or French (from my experience I heard much French but almost no English) to get driver in the streets... And no idea about public transportation for day trips...
    First day we did Garni-Geghard-Echmidzin route, the second day we went to Khor Virap to look at Ararat mountain.
    If I were you the second part I moved to northern part of the country, Sevan Lake or near by...
    ...and if you have question about Moscow, be free to ask :-)

3 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • missalg's Profile Photo

by missalg Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Thanks! That's really helpful to know about the language. I can get by in Spanish, but that's about it for my language skills. (Although I do a pretty good job in smiling and pointing and acting out, in places like China.) I think I might have to do some day trips through a tour agency, like Hyur Service (recommended to me on another forum.)

For Moscow, it's been so long since I've been there (1989) that I know the changes will be immense! Once I start looking into places to stay I'll definitely need some info, as my two previous trips (84 and 89) were very definitely under the Intourist plan.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• missalg's Profile Photo

by missalg Online Now Apr 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Thank you for the recommendation!

I will be staying about 10km outside of Vanadzor for three full days (Tezh Ler), and it looks like Gyumri would be a good day trip from there.

My itinerary now is four days in Yerevan, three in Nagorno-Karabakh, and three more in Tezh Ler; then I fly to Moscow.

I am really looking forward to visiting Armenia!

1 member found this helpful

• ShamiramK's Profile Photo

by ShamiramK Online Now May 15, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Choose Ani Plaza Hotel, city center, 4 Star, with all necessary services and facilities. www.anihotel.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Armenia Travel Answer Locations