Armenia Travel Answers

change location

Safe to travel in Armenia as a single lady?

by Tinal_8 Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Hi,

I am Israeli and I have been planning to visit Armenia in the summer. I am just starting to plan the trip. I am debating whether I should sign up for a guided tour or just buy the airline tickets and visit sites on my own. I wanted to ask whether it is safe to travel in Armenia as a woman? Are there areas where women should not be walking around on their own? Where can I find this type of information about safety before I plan to visit a location?

Thank you so much!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Safe to travel in Armenia as a single lady?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM

The word 'safe' is very relative. I'd never use that word with 100% certainty for anywhere on Earth.

With that said, having spent time in both Armenia and Israel myself, i'd have to say that travelling in Israel as a single woman is harder than Armenia. So if you have survived this long, you can most certainly handle Armenia.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

My information might be very outdated because I visited Amenia in 2003 and in 2006, but I travelled as a single woman and always felt safe. People I met were very kind and helpful, and If I was going again I would not hesitate to travel alone.

4 members found this helpful

• Re: Safe to travel in Armenia as a single lady?

by Tinal_8 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Fluffy_bunny wrote: The word 'safe' is very relative. I'd never use that word with 100% certainty for anywhere on Earth.

With that said, having spent time in both Armenia and Israel myself, i'd have to say that travelling in Israel as a single woman is harder than Armenia. So if you have survived this long, you can most certainly handle Armenia.

Thanks for answering. Just wondering, why do you feel it is harder to travel in Israel as a single lady?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Karolins's Profile Photo

by Karolins Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Hi Tinal_8. I am from Armenia and can assure you, that it's very safe and hospitable country. People are very kind and helpful. In summer you will see many families, who spend their evening time in different open-area cafes, walking till midnight, as well as many children, who play in football or other games outdoors.

1 member found this helpful

by Tinal_8 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Karolins wrote:

Hi Tinal_8. I am from Armenia and can assure you, that it's very safe and hospitable country. People are very kind and helpful. In summer you will see many families, who spend their evening time in different open-area cafes, walking till midnight, as well as many children, who play in football or other games outdoors.

Thanks for the answer. Are you refering just to Yerevan or in general?

Thanks!

Tina

by Aramo Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 2:58 AM

hi!I am from Armenia,come to us.We shall meet you with great warmth and love.

2 members found this helpful

• Trdat's Profile Photo

by Trdat Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Armenia is a safe country, the feeling of safety might not be the same say as the Balkans (due to poorer elements) overall it is much the same. The country is poor and there is a tendency for locals to scam from tourists though all in all, even if you were scammed your still be better of than a 10 dollar coffee in Italy or 30 dollar 5 min taxi trip in France. If you encounter lack of hospitality its just there manner don't feel unsafe, Caucasian can be cold but very caring and hospitable...

The only place I would be careful is nightclubs by yourself in particular the upperclass ones in which mafia hang around, even then mafia's are quite friendly to foreigners (not Armenians) Overall dont be afraid to travel to Armenia without a travel guide... I guarantee your safety... The only other thing i will be careful of is transit through Moscow now that I will not consider personally, or just stay in the airport.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Armenia Travel Answer Locations