Argentina Travel Answers

change location
Skibbe's Profile Photo

Traveling Solo

by Skibbe Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 3:36 PM

I'm wanting to visit Argentina this summer for a few weeks by myself and with no itinerary except for when I enter and when I leave Buenos Aires. I have done this in other countries but have heard that Argentina can be a dangerous place. I would appreciate suggestions from any of you who know this region better than I do as to whether you think this is a bad idea because of safety.

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Porteno's Profile Photo

RE: Traveling Solo

by Porteno Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 5:11 PM

I find Argentina to be overall a very safe country. Just use the normal precautions, don't flash alot of money, wear expensive watches etc. It is much safer here than in many other South American countries. Just use common sense and you should be fine.
    suerte
    SAM

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RicardoBA's Profile Photo

by RicardoBA Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 6:11 PM

HI,
    I agree with Porteno that the city and country are quite safe and you should have no problems if you exercise normal precautions that you would use in any country. For travel outside of the city, the country's bus system is of excellent quality and far surpasses which is available in the USA. Because of long distances, many people make use of the all night cama coche(buses)which allow the seats to fully recline into a bed and have food available.
    The city and country are full of tourists right now and no one who I speak with are not having any problems with security nor are there any major reports in the daily periodicals.
    You should be fine and have a good time.
    Enjoy!!

• RE: Traveling Solo

by softbomb Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 8:23 PM

ask the other 4 million tourists that visited last year. Also see this week's Newsweek article on BA:

msnbc.msn.com/id/16500159/si...

• RE: Traveling Solo

by softbomb Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 8:25 PM

I just saw your profile and it says you have been to Peru ---and you are worried about Argentina?! - which along with Chile -is the safest country in SA.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Traveling Solo

by vtveen Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 1:05 AM

We have been last year to Argentina for a couple of weeks (only). We never felt UNsafe.

• diana_renou's Profile Photo

by diana_renou Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 4:53 AM

Hi, well I'm a woman and I travel alone without ploblems. You have to have comon sence and you have not any problem. Dont look as a rich man..dont show expensives camara and wactches, as you do in others countries.Last year I visited Salta and Jujuy and next week I'm going to Ushuaia and I never have been in a dangerous situation. The best itinerary (if you have the time) I think is: in the north Salta and Valles Calchaquies, Jujuy and Quebrada de Humahuaca...in the northeast of the country: Cataratas del Iguazú in Misiones. Then: Patagonia..Bariloche, San Martin de los Andes, Esquel, Calafate (Perito Moreno Glacier). Puerto Madryn (Wales and penguin), Ushuaia (the city in the end of the world). Of course, if you have a lot of time: Mendoza and San Juan. good luck. Diana

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

by Skibbe Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Thanks for all the great input. My concern was not so much with the safety of just visiting the country as it was with going all over the country alone and with no itinerary. We hear stories up here all the time about the dangers and I remember hearing a lot about the family of my favorite basketball player, Manu Ginobili, being threatened--of course, he has a lot more money to be blackmailed for than I ever will:). So I wanted to make sure no one said "You'd be crazy to come here and wander around by yourself!" That I didn't get that reassures me and I'm excited about seeing the country.

• tour_girl's Profile Photo

by tour_girl Online Now Jan 9, 2007 at 9:36 PM

hello,
    I tell you that buenos aires is a beautiful city,my suggestion is that you should to know Argentina and buenos aires is not as dangerous as the people say.in buenos aires you can find a beautiful places and fun. maybe I can help you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Argentina Travel Answer Locations