Argentina Travel Answers

change location
Bibka's Profile Photo

Ruta 40

by Bibka Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Hi! We are going to visit Argentina in two month time. Traveling around by car (motorhome) all way down to Ushuaia and then back on Ruta 40. Want to know if Ruta 40 is open all year round because I've heard that buses stop running at the end of April. If anybody has been driving this way I'd like to hear what is an average distance some can drive there in one day, let's say in 4-5 hours?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Ruta 40

by cgf Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Ruta 40 is a long way, it goes till Bolivia and a lot of it is not paved and not in really good condition, I remeber once going to Cachi it looked more like a river bed, it took a lot for few kms. Also southern is not always in good conditions, once we could not go ahead as a couple of bridge fallen down.

In spite nowdays conditions could be better, check before you do and have an alternative. btw any alternative road in Patagonia means long way and waste of time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I have done it for a distance searching for that Argentinian wineries between Cafayate and Mendoza. In all its the longest road and highest too in Argentina 5100 kms long and a height of 4960 meters by the peak of Acay. If you pland the whole route you better take breaks along daily of about 250 kms. Enjoy it

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I just did drive parts of Ruta 40, most of them in Salta (and some parts nearby El Calafate). The Salta leg was (a couple of years ago) quite bad and it took us almost a whole day to drive from Cachi to Cafayate in a normal car. Some parts we couldn't drive faster than 20 km's.

Happy travels Jaap

• franshescamoru25's Profile Photo

by franshescamoru25 Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Ushuaya the best!

• Bibka's Profile Photo

by Bibka Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Thanks to all! I wonder if somebody is going to drive this way in April/May?

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM

from Ushuaia (ruta 3 till Comodoro) and also on ruta 40 from Calate till Esquel on April/May may be not the best time, short daylight, there are often snowstorm, a lot snow and ice could be on the way, if you had a problem it could take days before they find you.

Always tell somebody at your next destination that you'll arrive so they could look for you if you'll be late. do not forget you will do hundreds kms in the middle of nothing, none around, no gasoline, no houses... also bus service could be suspended during fall/winter

imho with a motorhome you should do it six/seven months later or five/six earlier

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Argentina Travel Answer Locations