Argelès-sur-Mer Travel Answers

change location

Traveling from Barcelona Airport to Argeles

by Snowghost Online Now Jun 11, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Hi, My son and daughter are flying into Barcelona to join us for a week in Argeles, what is the easiest way for them to get to Argeles using public transport.

Many thanks

Snowghost

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling from Barcelona Airport to Argeles

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 11, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Trains leave Barcelona- Sants station for Cerbere (France) where it will be necessary to change for the French train service to Argeles sur Mer - quite a slow local train.

For times etc see -
    Spain - www.renfe.es
    France - www.voyages-sncf.com

Any chance of changing arrival airport to Perpignan - it's much closer.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Jun 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM

It may depend on the expected arrival time of the plane and the travel into Barcelona Sants (main station) and then the onward travel.

For example there is a train leaving Barcelona Sants for Figueras Vilafant (new TGV station outside of Figueras) that links up with the TGV fast train headed for Paris but it stops at Perpignan and then change for the local service to Argeles.
    This fast track from Figueras Vilafant to Perpignan was opened in the past year and allows trains to use the new tunnels and viaducts and eventually the last section between Figueras and Barceleona will mean that this section will be fast.

So if you are able to take the train at 1pm to Figueras Vilafant then the quick trip using the TGV and then the local train from Perpignan to Argeles then this overall journey including the waits in between is less than 3 hours. But this applies to the train leaving at 1 pm from Sants station.
    You can reach Sants station from Barcelona El Prat airport using the local train service.
    renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercan...

Look at times etc on French Rail:
    http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Jun 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I have done this journey several times. It is slow - about 3 hours in all- and as these are regional (local) trains there are no board facilities so if food and drink is thought necessary, get something at Barcelona Sants.

Tickets cannot be reserved nor purchased in advance for almost all trains.

A similar question was asked earlier this week in another forum and I listed the available local train options. These I copy to this forum, but do check the times at the websites mentioned above, as they may change early next month. Argeles is about 10 minutes longer journey than Collioure referred to below : -

On weekdays you have these options to get to Collioure

Barcelona Sants leave 0618 Cerbere arrive 0900 (no connection for Collioure but there is a bus from Cerbere Mairie to Collioure at 0915)

then leave 0716 arrive 1010, 0822 arr 1055, 0916 arr 1200, 1116 arr 1400, then similarly at 1316, 1516 and the last one at 1716.

Then from Cerbere to Collioure there are weekday trains at

1035, 1130, 1226, 1413,1647,1825 and 2015. That last one is a long distance train on which seats should theoretically be reserved.

Seats on the 0822 from Barcelona should be reserved but all the other trains on both sides of the border are regional trains, no reservations needed or available.

At weekends the times are a bit different but the basic frequency is the same. The first trains from Barcelona to Cerbere at weekends are 0646 Saturdays,0822 Sundays.

I bought a ticket Barcelona - Argeles sur Mer (just up the coast) easily enough, but if the Spanish won't sell you a ticket to Collioure there is ample time at Cerbere to get one.

Coming back that way might be a problem as the first trains from Collioure to Portbou are at around 0750 and 0855 then nothing until 1237.

I hope that helps.

• Re: Traveling from Barcelona Airport to Argeles

by Snowghost Online Now Jun 12, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Big thankyou to everyone who took the time to reply. It is much appreciated and very helpful. Cheers

Snowghost

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines