Arcachon Travel Answers

change location

Arcachon for one day in August - what to do?

by gazstrong Online Now Jul 22, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Hi

I will be in Arcachon for one day in August and was wondering what the must see areas and locations are.

I would also like some tips for bars and restauarants and best areas for dining, drinking and relaxing etc.

Thanks in Advance

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

Re: Arcachon for one day in August - what to do?

by cubsur Online Now Jul 22, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Make your way to the Dune de Pyla - the highest sand dune in Europe.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gr...

Definitely a sight to see. Local buses go there if you don't have a car. You can walk up it but need to be fit. A couple of years ago when I was near there a middle-aged gent died of a heart attack trying to make the ascent.

Otherwise Arachon has little tour boats that go out into the bay.

I don't want to recommend places to eat etc as things can change in a couple of years but Arcachon is a busy resort so you won't have any problems. If what Iread in the local papers is true (I am in Bordeaux at the moment) the restaurateurs will welcome you with open arms. We have sunshine today for the first time in a week.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bugulma's Profile Photo

by bugulma Online Now Jul 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM

i guess the most famous sight-seeings are beaches :-)))
    yes, agree with above, the place is resort and bars and restaurant are nice in the season :-)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

by kokoryko Online Now Jul 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Restaurants and cafés : Lots on Boulevard de la Plage, sea side boulevard. A bit touristy, but nice if you sit on terrace. (like “Le Cabestan”, just ask, easy to find)
    Day time: as written above: Dune du Pyla; try to go to Cap Ferret on the other side of the Bassin by boat: beautiful lighthouse on a sand tongue with the ocean on one side and the basin on the other side.
    Rainy weather: visit the aquarium, managed by the biology institute of Bordeaux university.
    Ah! It is not a month with “R” (SeptembeR, NovembeR, MaRch, etc. . . ) but may be oysters are already good; visiting Arcachon without trying the local oysters is not a full visit of Arcachon!

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Aug 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM

The Dune de Pyla should really not be missed. You can climb and walk there for hours, it looks much smaller than it is.

Another activity at the bay is catamaran sailing, kayaking, rowing, etc. - all kinds of watersports.

I learnt to play Basque ball games in Arcachon.

Finally, it is fantastic to have drinks in one of the restaurants and bars along the esplanade, watching people, the sea, the sun and just sip from your drink. Also nice to have dinner there and enjoy the fresh seafood.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines