Appenzell Travel Answers

change location
BarbaraH25's Profile Photo

Appenzell, Help

by BarbaraH25 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Appenzell, help!

Question:

I am planning my trip and find it a struggle now that I am in Switzerland (first trip to Europe) without a car. We decided to make our way by train in Switzerland after 2 weeks with car in Germany/Austria.
We are planning to spend 2 days in Appenzell before going to the Jungfrau region. How do I pick a Mountain Inn when I don't know which lift to take? What is the distance from the lift to the Inn? How far from the train station.There is not enough detail on the web sites I am using. Found Appenzellerland the best. Any advise with be great! We are in our late 50's and do not want to hike for more than .5- 1 mile from lift to Inn.

Thank you.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Re: Appenzell, Help

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 4:45 AM

The only mountain guesthouse I've personally stayed at in the area is Berggasthaus Seealpsee. It's beautiful, but a 20-30 minute steep uphill walk from the Wasserauen train station. Two places I'm aware of that fit your criteria (but I can't personally recommend because I never stayed at either guesthouse) are Berggasthaus Kronberg and Berggasthaus Ebenalp.

See kronberg.ch/index.php/uebern... and http://gasthaus-ebenalp.ch/ for details (sorry, the web pages are only in German). The Appenzell tourist office might also be able to help. appenzell.info/en/service-na...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 4:51 AM

The Appenzell tourist office link requires a "www" at the front. Let me try again. If this link doesn't work, add "www" before "appenzell" in your browser, and you'll get to the page.

appenzell.info/en/service-na...

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Appenzell, Help

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Use google maps. It will show you all public transport stops, and where notes are in relation to them. It even allows you to plan your trip online.

1 member found this helpful

• BarbaraH25's Profile Photo

by BarbaraH25 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Thanks for the two options. I will contact both to see if either has a room for a few nights.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines