Apia Travel Answers

change location

APIA PORT

by whirley Online Now Dec 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Am arriving on cruise ship in April at Apia Port. Is there much to do within walking distance of port eg beaches or alternatively can we obtain transport at the port without having to book a shore tour with the ship

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: APIA PORT

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Apia is really easy to explore on foot if you arrive by cruise ship - but the nice sandy beaches are impossible to reach without transportation. There are even possibilities to swim in the harbour. If I remember right there is a "hole" in the harbour basin. Would need to check out what that was.

There are lots of taxis waiting outside the port's gates, and they are really cheap. We hired a taxi for the whole day and made a circle-half-island tour (western part), visited churches, villages, waterfalls, beaches, Robert Louis Stevenson's house, etc.

As it is piping hot at most times you do not really want to walk very far. A taxi from the main market for clothes and souvenirs (also food stalls) back to the port cost the equivalent of NZ 5.

Taxi drivers are willing to negotiate a price for any tour you want to undertake. So think about how much you would want to spend and do not go over this threshold.

BTW We had booked a car beforehand but the rental company had given it to someone who wanted to hire it for several days. Instead of getting annoyed we just walked back to the taxis. We had even regretted that we had hired a car which would have cost us more money than the taxi, so we were pleased the car rental company had "solved" the problem for us ;-)))

I cannot driving on the island anyway. It is really dangerous. Have not been there since they switched to driving on the left side two years ago but cannot imagine that it has got any better. We even got the impression taxi drivers are suicidal... Big potholes on the cross-island road. Some travel guides recommend to drive with two wheels in the ditch in order to oncoming traffic ;-) After our tour I know why ;-)))

But really, the island is wonderful. It would be a pity to stay in Apia.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: APIA PORT

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Apia is really easy to explore on foot if you arrive by cruise ship - but the nice sandy beaches are impossible to reach without transportation. There are even possibilities to swim in the harbour. If I remember right there is a "hole" in the harbour basin. Would need to check out what that was.

There are lots of taxis waiting outside the port's gates, and they are really cheap. We hired a taxi for the whole day and made a circle-half-island tour (western part), visited churches, villages, waterfalls, beaches, Robert Louis Stevenson's house, etc.

As it is piping hot at most times you do not really want to walk very far. A taxi from the main market for clothes and souvenirs (also food stalls) back to the port cost the equivalent of NZ 5.

Taxi drivers are willing to negotiate a price for any tour you want to undertake. So think about how much you would want to spend and do not go over this threshold.

BTW We had booked a car beforehand but the rental company had given it to someone who wanted to hire it for several days. Instead of getting annoyed we just walked back to the taxis. We had even regretted that we had hired a car which would have cost us more money than the taxi, so we were pleased the car rental company had "solved" the problem for us ;-)))

I cannot driving on the island anyway. It is really dangerous. Have not been there since they switched to driving on the left side two years ago but cannot imagine that it has got any better. We even got the impression taxi drivers are suicidal... Big potholes on the cross-island road. Some travel guides recommend to drive with two wheels in the ditch in order to oncoming traffic ;-) After our tour I know why ;-)))

But really, the island is wonderful. It would be a pity to stay in Apia.

• Re: APIA PORT

by whirley Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Thankyo for you advice

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Apia