change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• tjsomerset's Profile Photo

how safe is it ?

by tjsomerset Online Now Nov 9, 2014 at 7:08 AM

and what do you do to avoid trouble, other than the usual precautions....areas to avoid ? travel by bus to seaside ? nightlife ?
      what about money and banks ?
      thank you for any tips....(traveled to Panama last year....was fine, except for a few isolated stories....our only experience of Central America, other than Cancun)
      tjs

3 Answers Nov 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    • Climate, things to buy, must see things in Guatemala

by alfredo9 Online Now Sep 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM

HI everyone, I will be a week in Guatemala a round October 20
      Can someone tell me what climate to expect
      What aré the must see places
      Special things to buy,

I will be very grateful for your help

Alfredo

12 Answers Nov 9, 2014 at 6:01 AM
    • mavis77's Profile Photo

Is it easy to get to the international airport?

by mavis77 Online Now Sep 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Should I arrange a transfer to the international airport or would it be easy enough to get a taxi at 3am from the hotel Posada Los Bucaros? Thanks

6 Answers Sep 4, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    • I'm moving to Antigua Guatemala long term in the next couple of months , I need tips, ideas

by Frank198716 Online Now Jul 21, 2014 at 7:32 AM

My name is Francisco, and I'll be moving to Antigua guatemala. I need tips on where is good to look for houses for rent long term as well as good pricing and security.? Also where to start looking for jobs etc. Any feed back will be appreciated . thanks

• Banking in Guatemala

by Duanedak Online Now May 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I am traveling to Antigua as part of an international business class for my MBA. I am a banker and I am trying to find a local bank that might be able to talk to me about how they handle financing amoung other things in Guatemala. I would need to find a banker that speaks English. Any ideas?

3 Answers May 23, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    • mosh929's Profile Photo

Bus from Antigua to Copan Ruinas

by mosh929 Online Now Apr 21, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Greetings everyone, does anyone have the latest info. on bus options from Antigua to Copan Ruinas..are there any overnight buses as well..please let me know, planning a trip next month!

Thank you so much!

18 Answers May 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    • Visa Run from Antigua to Copan, Honduras

by townsendguat Online Now Feb 12, 2014 at 5:26 AM

Is Honduras still part of the CA-4 or will they renew the visa? I have heard different things. If not, what is the easiest, quickest, safest border to cross (Mexico or Belize) with 6 young children? Thank you in advance for your help.

3 Answers Apr 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    • Young people in Antigua

by froward Online Now Jan 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I'm travelling to Antigua over the summer and I was wondering if there were a lot of activities for college-aged people. Also, are there any good ways to meet other young people in the city?

5 Answers Apr 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    • hammocks in antigua

by peggyberlese Online Now Jan 10, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I did not buy on my last trip, but want to buy on an upcoming one, a beautiful, colorful, ornate hammock from Antigua. It was $125 when I last was in Antigua and it was for sale in a home furnishings store, I think. Does anyone know what store that is? Thanks, Peggy

• ejordan's Profile Photo

Climate/weather December

by ejordan Online Now Nov 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM

What is the climate/weather like in December and January? Especially interested in humidity level. May come down and stay in hostel, any suggestion? How is traveling from Guatemala to Beliz, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.? Is there good transportation between countries? Bus, boat, or train?

4 Answers Feb 27, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    • Money matters during Holy Week

by kazza77 Online Now Nov 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Hi, I will be visiting Antigua for the first time during Holy Week 2014. I am from the UK and was wondering what would be the best currency to use in Antigua - Dollars or Quetzals? Also, do the banks close during Holy Week, if so, where would be the best place to withdraw money or exchange travellers cheques during this time, do hotels still exchange money for you? Many thanks.

4 Answers Nov 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    • TravisD3's Profile Photo

Upcoming 9-Night Visit

by TravisD3 Online Now Oct 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Hello -

I (33yo gay male) have just arranged flights to Guatemala City (21 November evening arrival - 30 November morning departure). I'm wondering if anyone has a suggested itinerary for things that are a MUST in that small timeframe and/or must stay hotels. I'm quite interested in Antigua & Lake Atitlán and a possible short-stay meditation retreat.

I live in the rainforest of Costa Rica so not much is very daunting for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

PURA VIDA

8 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    • Is it easy to arrange shuttle buses for a group of 5 or 6?

by Whyjet Online Now Sep 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Is it easy to arrange shuttle buses for a group of 5 or 6? From Guatemala city to Antiqua? Is it possible to even hire a mini van and driver for several days? 5-10 days?

• Mosquitoes

by mgastelum Online Now Jun 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

How bad are the mosquitoes in Antigua in July? Should I take plenty of DEET?

3 Answers Jun 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    • Mosquitos

by mgastelum Online Now Jun 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Hi, how bad are the mosquitoes in Antigua, Guatemala in July?

2 Answers Jun 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    • driving to Quetzaltenango from Oaxaca Mexico

by akashac Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM

has anyone driven over the border to Quetzaltenango ? How long does it take and what are the roads like
      Thanks Andrea

4 Answers Apr 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    • JanieA's Profile Photo

No Title

by JanieA Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM

hotel near casa de fe

2 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    • StephanieA8's Profile Photo

Travelling and donating clothes and toys

by StephanieA8 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Hello,

Im planning a long trip of backpacking through Central and South America with my boyfriend and have been wondering what is 'acceptable' to give to kids and families in need of clothes, books, toys, diapers, school supplies, ect.
      Also, i will be backpacking, so i can imagine it would be difficult to carry all the extra weight around with me. Has anyone tried buying things IN the country and giving them away there?
      any suggestions?

Also is it acceptable to approach people and give them things?

3 Answers Mar 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    • Antigua markets

by mmtbeer Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Are the markets in Antigua active during Holy Week from Good Friday to Easter Sunday?

2 Answers Feb 28, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    • cherylll's Profile Photo

safety concerns

by cherylll Online Now Apr 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Hi. My husband and I are going to Antigua, Guatemala in December and we are wondering about safety measures...are there certain places, things, pointers that would be good for us to know about? I have read travel advisorys about the crime and have talked with people...some say its fine others say the opposite...any feedback would be greatly appreciated...Cheryl

5 Answers Jul 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    • Moving To Antigua

by marcos-777 Online Now Apr 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

My wife and I are planning to move to Antigua later this year; she was born and raised in Guate -has lived here in Los Angeles for over 10 years- and we're looking forward to moving to her homeland. I would like some advice on how she could secure a job (she's in business/administration) before we move. I'm curious of the likelihood of doing a Skype/phone interview; that's not too rare in the states but don't know about in Guatemala. At worst case scenario we can stay with her family in Guatemala City until we find work in Antigua but would prefer to bypass this step. Does anyone know of any Guatemalan job boards that we can post a resume'? As for me working, it's my understanding that I would have to wait at least 3 months to get some residency to then apply for a work visa. I'm not sure if that's correct information though. Also, we would just like to meet some people from the area to connect with. If anyone has any great general advice about moving there (or anything else) we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

• mostaque's Profile Photo

Car Saftey/Staying Options for a family

by mostaque Online Now Jan 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Hi I am taking my family, wife and two kids, to Guatemala for the first time. I wanted to know...

How safe it is to rent and drive a car there? Do you think as an American I can follow the road signs to Tikal?

What the weather is like during Febuary?

What is a good back packing hostel like staying place for a family in a quiet area? Kind of like a house run by a local family. If there is a kitchen that would be great.

Thank You

• Lodging Suggestions

by gardenmike Online Now May 6, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I am planning my first trip to Antigua Guatemala in June and July and am looking for suggestions on lodging. I'm not interested in a home stay with a family. Looking for something like a VRBO, renting a small house with a kitchen. Would like it in town as I will not have a car.

Thanks for any help.
      -Mike-

3 Answers Jun 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    • what to wear and not wear

by miniguinea Online Now Dec 8, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Hi,
      A friend of mine told me that only "idiot" American tourists wear shorts in Antigua. Is it really frowned upon? What should women visiting NOT wear. I see no jewlery....do you mean gold? Is inexpensive "costume" jewlery okay?

Please advise...thanks...
      Chris

3 Answers Dec 9, 2010 at 3:30 AM
    • taxi price from guatemala city airport to antigua?

by coramper Online Now Oct 20, 2010 at 10:28 AM

anyone aware of what should be the approximate cost of a taxi from gua airport to antigua? we are 3 people with 3 medium bags. would love to arrange a shuttle beforehand, but, i fly stand-by (work for airline). thanks for any help. any type of taxi superior to any other?

2 Answers Nov 15, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    • Bus & safety

by philr08 Online Now Jun 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Does anyone know/have experience in traveling from Antigua to the town of San Juan Ostuncalco? I hope to visit the young person & his family I sponsor there. I'll be in Antigua studying Spanish.

2 Answers Jul 25, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    • First time traveling in Guatemala; weather question

by andria44 Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 5:24 AM

We are planning a last minute trip to Guatemala in 2 weeks (7/10-7/20). O course this is during the rainy season. Has anyone traveled during this time and have any suggestions? Will it be sunny during the day and then have afternoon thunderstorms or more rainy and cloudy all day? Obviously weather is unpredictable but if anyone has any thoughts or comments on traveling during this time, I would VERY much appreciate it! Thanks!

1 Answer Jun 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    • Do Spanish schools close during the Christmas period?

by daisyven Online Now Jun 25, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Hi Guys,

I mean I'm sure they do but does anyone have any idea of some dates as the when they close during december/january? I will be arriving on the 19th December with the intention of starting a month long spanish course. I'm happy to wait if the schools are closed.

Many Thanks
      Daisy

3 Answers Oct 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    • guatemala with children

by ella98 Online Now Apr 28, 2010 at 11:11 AM

planning a language immersion program in late 2010/early 2011. will have two girls 12 and 10. thinking if quetzaltenango. will this be safe? can we safely travel around the country?

4 Answers Oct 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    • What spanish school would you recommend?

by daisyven Online Now Apr 16, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I want a spanish school that can provide homestay accomodation and that has a really friendly vibe. I'll be traveling alone and wish to do a month long spanish course...so I'll really want to meet other travelers at the same time as improving my spanish by staying with a spanish speaking family. I think I just said the same thing twice!

Many Thanks
      Daisy

1 Answer May 1, 2010 at 6:31 AM