Antigua Guatemala Travel Answers

change location

Spanish Academy Antiguena spanish school experiences?

by oldbuckhorn Online Now Mar 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

After lots of internet research, I've pretty much settled on this school for July coming up Spanish study. It seemed complete, most activities included in the price, and I just liked its philosophy. But it's the internet! How do I know what it's really like? Does anyone have any experiences with this school , on Calle Poinente in Antigua, or with its owner - Julio Gomez? either positive or negative? I don't want to commit myself and then hate it - I'd hate tpo change schools partway through - I'd like to feel assured before I go. THANKS!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Re: Spanish Academy Antiguena spanish school experiences?

by gfinesilver Online Now Mar 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Spanish schools in antigua are a dime a dozen, and they all offer very similar programs for similar prices. 1-on-1 is the standard there. it looks like your program has about average prices. there are cheaper ones and more expensive ones.
    The address of your school is 1a Calle Poniente. poniente just refers to the fact that it is in the Western half of 1a calle (poniente like where the sun goes down, towards the east. you'll learn those words). that street is pretty relaxed and you are not far from anything. it's a small town anyway.

i have not taken spanish classes (i took mayan classes) in antigua but the school many friends went to was Ixchel.

you don't need to obligate yourself to a school before you arrive, you can shop around once you get there.

one thing i noticed about the school is the transfer to antigua for50. that is too expensive, even if it's round trip. you can find a shuttle when you arrive for around12 and to get back it's5.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines