Antananarivo Travel Answers

change location

Transport from airport.

by AKNAR Online Now Oct 3, 2011 at 3:19 AM

What is the best transport option from Antananarivo airport?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Transport from airport.

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Oct 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Hi
    And welcome to VT!
    As Kirsty says, you need to provide more detail for us to give you a useful answer. But a few general comments to start with.
    If you are wanting to get into the city from the airport, then your two choices are either taxi or taxi brousses (minibus taxis). The former is obviously more expensive than the latter, but will take you to exactly where you want to go, whereas taxi brousses are going to be cheaper, but much less comfortable and spacious, and will not drop you 'door to door'.
    Be warned that traffic congestion in Tana is appalling, and although it's only a short distance, it will take you about an hour to get into town from the airport. If by any chance you are overnighting in Tana and then flying onto anotehr destination the next day (which commonly happens), I would strongly suggest staying in a hotel near the airport rather than trekking to and from town.
    Also don't overlook Tana itself - it is a surprisingly interesting place (much ore interesting than most of the travel guides would give it credit for), and well worth giving yourself a day or two to appreciate.
    Have a look at my Tana page for more info, and enjoy - Madagascar is one of my absolute favourite places!
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DAO's Profile Photo

by DAO Online Now Oct 5, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Please see my scam tip on my Antananarivo page!

Taxi have a scam laminated price list.

Try and get your accommodation to collect you. And negotiate the price!

There is no such thing as a fixed taxi price in Africa. I have even seen one in stone (really) and the taxis tried to charge more.

Set you mind on 10 Euros ( or equivalent) and thats it.

I ended up (after offers of 30 Euros) paying a guy about 3 Euros to carry my bag across a rice patty to my hotel about 2 Kms away.

Be prepared to raise hell with the taxis at the airport. The worst in Africa!

• Re: Transport from airport.

by AKNAR Online Now Oct 9, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Thanks so much Catherine!!

I do not know where I am heading from the airport but most likely city centre. I just wanted to know what the options are (shuttle bus, taxi....) now i have some idea of what i can do when i get there. I arrive at 8:30 pm which prpbably leaves me with the taxi option.

....did you have a tour guy/agency you would recommend in Tana, my partner and I certanly want to explore the town. So far, i can see that the Zoo and the Market are popular attractions....also museum.

Thanks again :-)
    Aknar

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Oct 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM

Hi
    Glad to be of help!
    There are lots of interesting things to do in Tana - have a look at my Tana page for a range of suggestions.
    On our last visit, we travelled with www.madexperience.com on a package from South Africa to their wonderful and affordable resort La Petite Traversee on Ile St Marie. This involved a night in transit in Tana as the flights don't connect, and they have their own guesthouse in town (with a shuttle to the airport) which we found to be no frills but comfortable. The lady who runs it (Petra) is a German maried to a Malagasy and is exceedingly helpful. We then asked them to arrange for their driver (and his English-speaking son) to take us around for the few extra days that we'd arranged in Tana, which most people on a package don't do, since we wanted to show our kids some places that we'd visited on our previous visit.
    An obvious trip from Tana is the Lemur Park and we also enjoyed the Zoo, despite its obvious limitations due to underfunding - maybe the only chance most people will have to see an aya-aye or a fossa. The Royal Palace at Ambohimanga is excellent, as is the eerie Royal Necopolos at Ambihmalaza. We also got them to take us to Madagaskar Exotic - which they hadn't visited before - which you could combine in a long day with the necropolis (which is also on the eastern side of town). I have written all of these up on my Madagascar pages if you'd like more information.
    Regards
    Cathy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines