Annecy Travel Answers

change location

Annecy without a car

by Lantaugirl Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Hello, we are planning to go to Annecy in May and we don't want to rent a car.
The best hotels in my opinion are in Talloires (quiet). Is it reasonnable to book a hotel in Talloires or do we have to book a hotel in the center of Annecy?
Thank you very much for your advice

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • EuropeRider's Profile Photo

Re: Annecy without a car

by EuropeRider Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The bus line 61 connects Talloires with Annecy. It doesn't run very often, so you are a little limited in that respect. It also depends on how long you are planning to stay. We 'did' Annecy again last week (we live not far from there and visit at least once on each of our trips), but never need more than a half a day. If you're new to Annecy you may include a visit to the castle and spend an entire day in the old town of course.

Best regards,
    Francois

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM

You'll need to explain exactly what you are planning to do in Annecy or the surrounding area first. Without knowing it's difficult to give you advice.
    While Talloires is a lovely place, well situated on the lake, it is 12 kms from Annecy and takes around 30 mins by bus. Here is the timetable for the L61 bus that does Annecy-Talloires. Just scroll to the2nd page

voyages-crolard.com/uploads/....

3 members found this helpful

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Haha writing at the same time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• firechick's Profile Photo

by firechick Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I agree with the others. If you want to go into Annecy regularly, it will be a real downer to be that far out and have so few buses. Talloires is not Annecy or a neighborhood of Annecy. It is across the lake from Annecy ... Annecy itself (in town) has public transit via buses, and most city buses run more regularly than the ones to other towns. Why not also consider an apartment rental if you are going to be there for a few days ? There are some online on airbnb for example that people have reviewed as being quiet and close to transit.
    I disagree with one reply however that one can "do" Annecy in half a day - unless one has been there before and knows exactly what one wants to go see that is not really the case. I think that assumes you have no desire to actually DO anything more than briefly look at flower pots and the outsides of buildings and eat lunch while you are there. If you want to go on tours of the lake, go inside any of the lovely independent shops or to the chateau museum or historical areas and take in the history by reading and looking carefully, trying different restaurants and cafés etc., then several days is much better.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

>>I disagree with one reply however that one can "do" Annecy in half a day - unless one has been there before and knows exactly what one wants to go see that is not really the case.

Europerider did say that he lives nearby and that he needs only a half-day to do what he wants, he is not suggesting anyone else can "DO" it in a half-day.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

We always stay directly in Annecy not far from the train station and it has always been very peaceful.I'd much rather be in the town where I could leave my car and walk. If you are taking the train, it would be easy to get a pleasant hotel within a few blocks of the station and walk there. You can walk everyplace from the train station. It's right by the Old Town.

You'll want to visit the chateau, spend a good amount of time exploring the lovely Old Town area, see the churches, do some wine tasting, enjoy the galleries. There are boat rides around the lake and some serve meals. That would be great fun although we've never tried that. Our favorite restaurant in Annecy is Beau Soleil (the name caught our eye). Here is the Annecy web site in English. http://en.lac-annecy.com/

Many years ago we camped near Sevrier which is nearly opposite Talloires. We were on the same side of the lake as Annecy but still felt very removed from the town. Especially if you don't have a car, I'd strongly suggest considering staying directly in town so you can take advantage of all it has to offer including tours of the area if you are interested.

2 members found this helpful

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Totally agree with Sally. I stayed right in the very heart of Annecy at the Palais de L'Isle Hotel and for me it was perfect. I had three nights there which gave me two and a half full days to see the sights. This is best done in Annecy on foot. It is the most amazing town to wander around and the lake area is wonderful. In warm weather there are many activities on the lake such as swimming, kayaking if you are so inclined but you can also just sit and watch the world go by if like me, that is your thing. It's a wonderful place, enjoy it, but remember that you will enjoy it more if you stay in the centre. Just my opinion based on my experience of Annecy. I love it!

2 members found this helpful

• Re: Annecy without a car

by micolett Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I'd rather stay IN Annecy and take advantage of it being a transport hub (trains, busses, boats) to move around with any car.
    Just pick your hotel well.

by Lantaugirl Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Thank you so much for your answers. It is very helpful. I am still not sure of what to do. I think I would like to walk around the lake, maybe enjoy a boat cruise and I will definitely visit the castle and the center of Annecy. It only seemed to me that hotels in Talloires seemed better than hotels in the center of Annecy. Which hotels in the center of Annecy do you recommend?

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

What are you looking for in a hotel? We stay at Les Terrasses near the Old Town and the train station. It's an easy walk to everyplace and the hotel is in a quiet neighborhood with a pleasant garden in the back. It's clean and friendly with a good restaurant. It is, however, definitely a budget hotel. If you're used to 4 and 5 star accommodation, it won't suit you. Here's their web site and you can have a look. hotel-les-terrasses-annecy.c...

Enjoy Annecy. It's beautiful.

by Lantaugirl Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I will have a look. Thank you very much again

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines