Annapurna Himal Travel Answers

change location
PhilipE5's Profile Photo

Annapurna Sanctuary February 2013

by PhilipE5 Online Now Dec 22, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Hello. I am hoping to do the Annapurna Sanctuary in mid Februay with my wife. We are both about 50, reasonably fit, and set aside 11 days. We plan to hire a porter in Pokhara.

Is this trek acheivable? Any recommendations for quality but affordable accommodation in Pokhara? And a porter outfit to hire from?

Thanks

Phil, Perth Australia

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Annapurna Sanctuary February 2013

by davidjo Online Now Dec 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Philip, the trek is very much achievable at your age and 11 days will be ample, and there are many outlets for hiring trekking gear in Pokhara, but i would make sure that you have a good quality pair of waterproof hiking shoes. I have done the Annapurna circuit twice and been to base camp too and you will enjoy it, but i assume by saying Annapurna Sanctuary, you intend to trek to ABC (annapurna base camp) and possibly see a couple of other places.
    There are several villages you can stay at on the route but i would get the Truck/Bus towards Damphus and trek to Ghandruk or Landruk on the first day, then head down the hill and up the other side to the beautiful village of Chomrong which clings to the hillside with a wonderful choice of lodges. Next day enter the sanctuary and make your way to Bamboo, where there is accommodation set in the bamboo forest. Next day make your way to ABC, you will be there by lunchtime, enjoy the night there and depart the next morning to Chomrong for a night. If it was me i would head to Ghorapani for a night then Tatopani the next day where you can relax in the hot springs, before returning to Poon Hill the next day, so you can get up early and catch a view of the mountains. From Poon Hill head to Birethanti where you can rest and go for a dip in the cool river. Next day return to Pokhara. This is a 10 day trek and will keep you busy but well worth doing.
    There are many wonderful guest houses in Pokhara which other members will recommend, and good restaurants too!!!
    hire your porter/guide from one of the agencies although the trail is quite easy to follow.
    If you look at my Nepal pages there are many tips regarding the trek.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • thapaliya's Profile Photo

by thapaliya Online Now Dec 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Hello Phil,
    Many New year Greeting from Kathmandu for New Year 2013. I guess in Mid February its no problem trek to Annapurna sanctuary.11 days sound good. Only the concern is Porter/or Guide/Porter. Please try to Find them from Reputable Trekking Agency from Nepal. From Pokhara also not bad possible. Ensure that do they have fully Insurances or get well paid from agent? Normaly Porter cost around 15 US$ per days and they carry about 20kg while you in Tea House Trek. Guide cost will be about 20 or 25 us$ per day including his food and accommodaation.
    The Trek to ABC is very nice classic way with beautiful Annapurna Himalayas, Gurungs Villages and Narrow Valley and you will get very closed to Annaapurna Thumb.
    Enjoy your trek in Nepal

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Dec 23, 2012 at 3:18 AM

I’m not entirely agreeing with the info posted above

To try to trek from Bamboo to ABC in one day would be foolhardy – Bamboo is at an elevation of 2340m and ABC is at 4130m, so to try and gain 1800m in a single day is inviting almost certain death from AMS

This is my own trekking schedule which is much safer and will still fit in with your timeframe

1) Leave Pokhara in the early afternoon by taxi to Phidi and trek to Dhampus, Uphill, quite steep at times and passing through terraces, arriving there late afternoon
    2) Dhampus to Ladruk – about ¾ days trek crossing one ridge then mainly downhill to Ladruk
    3) Ladruk to Chomrong- about ¾ days trek downhill at first to cross the Modi Kosi at “ New Bridge” (No Bridge!!) and the Steeply uphill to Chomrong
    4) Chomrong to Bamboo – about ¾ days trek, Steeply downhill on steps, the steeply uphill to Real Sinua and then downhill again to Bamboo
    5) Bamboo to Himalaya – ½ day steadily up
    6) Himalaya to Deurali -- ½ day steadily up
    7) Deurali to MBC - -- ½ day steadily up
    8) MBC – ABC – Doban - Full day, up early, breakfast at ABC then return downhill all the way to Doban picking your pack up at MBC when passing
    9) Doban to Chomrong -- ¾ day with one up and over and a pull up to Chomrong

From Chomrong I trekked towards Poon Hill but you could trek Chomrong to Nayapool in one long day and catch a bus back to Pokhara from there

10) Chomrong to Tadapani - Full day - You cross one small ridge, then it is considerably up, initially through terraced agricultural land, then into forest before finally reaching Tadopani
    11) Tadapani to Ghorapani (Poon Hill) ¾ day - first down through forest, then you undulate through a mixture of agricultural land and more forest, one small up and over then generally downhill into Ghorapani.
    12) After getting up at the crack of dawn to see the sunrise on the top of Poon Hill, Either Ghorapani to Birethanti or Tatopani – both ¾ day treks and downhill all the way
    13) From Birethanti to Nayapool – 1 hours hike and then bus back to Pokhara
    From Tatopani to Beni by jeep then bus back to Pokhara

Personally I would opt for the Tatapani route and as long as you aren’t tight on time then have a day off there to take advantage of the Hot Springs

The next thing to mention is the risk of Avalanche – When fresh snow falls on frozen snow they can happen quickly and without warning and aren’t uncommon on ABC in February, I trekked ABC myself in early March and diversions had been set up to try and avoid the worst of the Avalanche Chutes. So it is imperative that take advice from the local lodge owners and use these diversions if necessary and IF they tell you it isn’t safe to proceed heed their advice and turn around. Here is a link to a good downloadable trekking map that has the Avalanche Chutes marked
    howadoor.umbra.cz/img/map/An...

Having said all that, ABC is an excellent trek and with luck you should be able to achieve it safely in your allotted timescale.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking
    Rob

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

by kenHuocj Online Now Dec 23, 2012 at 7:24 AM

i have only managed the briefest tourist visit in 1975, wish i had read advice like yours then, when i was still young and able ;-)))

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Dec 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM

INTO THIN AIR, maybe you are correct, Bamboo to ABC would be too much but i forgot that when id did it i had spent a month in Everest and straight to Ghorka and after 3 weeks in Annapurna i just wanted to get it finished with. Yes, stop at the next lodge as you suggest would be wise.

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Dec 24, 2012 at 6:25 AM

DAVIDJO – Thanks for posting your clarification.

The OP might also find this link useful

ismmed.org/index.php/prevent...

It is from The International Society for Mountain Medicine and gives some great information in how best to minimise the chances of being adversely effected by AMS by proper acclimatisation.
    Good Luck
    Rob

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines