Annapurna Himal Travel Answers

change location
jackfruit's Profile Photo

Annapurna circuit in 16 days?

by jackfruit Online Now Feb 10, 2004 at 12:35 PM

Since we dont have 22 days but would like to do most of the Annapurna circuit (Oct/Nov of this year), would it be possible to do the following: Kathmandu - Besisahar by bus (day 1) Besisahar - Ghorepani (15 days) And on day 16, go to Pokara to end the hike, instead of doing the additional 8 day Annapurna sanctuary? Has anyone done this? I need some feedback on this -how is the view of the Annpurna range if one doesnt do the sanctuary part of the hike? Thanks much for any help!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • jackfruit's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Annapurna circuit in 16 days?

by jackfruit Online Now Feb 17, 2004 at 6:14 AM

Annapurna Sanctuary trek doesnt go up to Thorung La pass and we'd like to do that - that's why we chose the circuit over the sanctuary. Any ideas on how that would be possible with the sanctuary trek?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jackfruit's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Annapurna circuit in 16 days?

by jackfruit Online Now Feb 17, 2004 at 9:43 AM

I have done high altitude trekking before, so trekking around Annapurna wont be the first time. Just summitted Kili a few weeks before with no AMS whatsoever and we have also hiked some in the Andes and here in the US.... No, we arent attempting to climb the peak - just walk around or up to it's base... Thanks for all your feedback - looks like we might be back to the drawing board again about the sanctuary or circuit decision!!! :-)))))

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

RE: Annapurna circuit in 16 days?

by darthmilmo Online Now Jul 16, 2005 at 9:23 AM

Sorry op for responding over a year and a half later, but just in case someone might find this useful I wanted to let y'all know that you can certainly walk the Annapurna Circuit in 16 days. In fact, that's usually the minimum time recommended (16-21 days is the norm)

Day 1 - Early bus to Basisahar, start walking and o/n along the way (try Ngadi)

Days 2 - 15 Hike all around the circuit aiming for Ghorepani. If you are running out of time though, you can reach the road (aka where buses pass) a short day hike from Tatopani (skipping Ghorepani). I really think this won't be necessary as long as you are a good hiker and the weather is fine. Sure, Ghorepani has great views, but let's face it it won't kill you if you have to skip that if you're press in time... the rest of the trail is equally rewarding in itself.

Day 16 back to Pokhara.

suerte,
    Fernando

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines