Angola Travel Answers

change location

Questions about the current situation in Bengo

by Wanda78 Online Now Aug 21, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Hello I will be spending over two weeks in Bengo (based in Caxita) and I would love to hear about the current situation there: is it safe? how is the food? what to eat and what to avoid (to avoid upsetting stomach)? is malaria widespread over there? are there many mosquitos/dangerous flies etc? what is worth seeing there? Are there big temperature changes from day to night? I would really appreciate any advice from people who live or recently travelled there. Many thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

Re: Questions about the current situation in Bengo

by ricky52 Online Now Aug 21, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Malaria Kills 6,325 Persons in Angola
    At least 6,325 persons died of malaria in Angola during the first quarter of this year, according to figures from National Direction of Public Health on Wednesday.

Mosquitoes, Malaria and Dengue Fever.

This is a question that appears quite a lot here on VT.
    You will hear from people who never take any kind of medication.
    You will hear from those who do.

May I suggest that you contact your own doctor, practice nurse or travel clinic and ask for their advice?
    If they recommend that you use some form of medication, get them to recommend the treatment.
    You may find that some treatments you make you ill, if so, ask the doctor for an alternative.

Different anti malaria medication effects different people in different ways, what is good for one person is not always good for another. You won't know this until you have tried a particular medicine.

At present, there is no cure for Dengue Fever.
    Unlike the mosquitoes that cause malaria, dengue mosquitoes bite during the day.

Is prevention better than the cure?
    Of course it is.
    DEET based products are the most effective way of repelling mosquitoes.
    Available in different forms and strengths, users should always read the instructions carefully

“I will only be there 3 or 4 days, do I really need to take the medicine”
    It does not matter, if it is an infected area, 3 or 4 minutes is all it takes to get Malaria.

Either way, you can return from your holiday with some great photographs, a sun tan and good memories or in a body bag.
    The choice is yours.

True fact: - Malaria has killed more than half the people who have EVER lived.

This reply may appear to be a little melodramatic and over the top.
    IT IS MEANT TO BE.
    Too much irresponsible and bad information is given out over forums regarding the mosquito and its potential to kill.

You did not mention when and where you will be going.
    Here are some averages for Angola.

Trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local on the day variations.
    This information should be used as a guide only.
    Here is the average weather for Luanda, Angola for this time of year.
    Enjoy your holiday.

Warmest month's are February and March.
    High 87f / 31c
    Low 76f / 25c

Coolest month's are July and August.
    High 75f / 24c
    Low 66f / 19c

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Angola Travel Answer Locations