Travel Answers
Andringitra

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 3 weeks in north of Mada over Christmas (Dec-Jan) - itinerary, overland travel and rainy season?

Madagascar Nov 4, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Hi there,

My husband and I are planning a 3 week holiday to Madagascar. It's our first time to Mada and, as we are quite impulsive, we forgot to check the weather conditions prior to booking our flights!

We know that it's the rainy season but we've heard varying things about what that actually means. As the trip is basically going to be our honeymoon, we'd really like to spend some time relaxing in Nosy Be, so we're thinking we'll focus on the north. We're also hoping to not spend too much money, so we're considering flying into either Nosy Be or Diego Suarez and then traveling overland to the other location. From either Nosy Be or Diego Suarez, we are considering taking a series of taxi brousses back to Tana, but I can't find much information on whether or not this is feasible. I am a seasoned traveler, have extensive experience using local transport and can get around (ish) in French, but my husband is less keen on local transport and would like to limit the amount of time in transit (i.e. he's fine with spending a day in a taxi brousse but would like things to break up the journey). He's also willing to hire a driver but I'd rather avoid that to be honest, if at all possible!

Is there anything to see between, say, Nosy Be and Tana and could you potentially travel this distance in a taxi brousse? I know that overland travel can take a very long time so any estimates would be useful.

In addition, we're planning on avoiding the eastern coast due to the weather, but any thoughts on whether Diego Suarez and its surrounds will be massively affected? We're absolutely fine with some heavy rain for a few hours here and there but don't want to get stuck in one place for days on end in a rainstorm.

We're obviously fairly early in our planning but any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks.

more