Andalucía Travel Answers

change location
theenglishway's Profile Photo

Where to spend a month in Andalucía?

by theenglishway Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I speak Spanish and was hoping to spend a month in Andalucía because I love the accent and culture. However, I'm not sure where to go. I originally wanted to live in Sevilla because of the accent and there's lots to do, but I'd miss the sea and I've already been there (and enjoyed it) but wouldn't mind a new placer. Other places I'd thought of were Huelva and Almería and they're by the sea, but there doesn't seem to be a lot to do for someone of my age (I'm 24).
Málaga has too many Brits and I want to avoid them like the plague, so ruling out Granada and Marbella too. Also, my parents (they're coming too) don't want to live in Cádiz so that rules that out as they're paying. Help please!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

Re: Where to spend a month in Andalucía?

by annemariebyrne Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Despite your reservations I don't think you should rule out Málaga. It's a very Spanish city and has lots to offer for all age groups. I've never noticed it having too many 'Brits' as you claim and I think you would have an authentic Andalucian experience if you were to base yourself there. It's on the coast and has good transport links to all other parts of the region.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Jerez de la Frontera? Not on the coast but close to Seville and Cadiz. Rota is on the coast but is a small place so not sure about the nightlife etc. But it doesn't seem to me that you can have the sea and Andalucia without doing either Cadiz or Malaga.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

by LoriPori Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I am a Canadian and I am writing this From Torremolinos Spain where we are spending the month of February. I absolutely love it here and this is our ninth year of coming. At the moment I can hear the sea from my balcony of our apartment which is right across from the beach. I really think you would love it here also. Lots of bars, restaurants and shops. Excellent transportation by bus and rail. Twenty minutes by train to Malaga. I like to visit Malaga, but would not want to stay there.
    There is a wonderful promenade along the ocean which stretches for about 25 kms and you can walk along it all the way to Benalmadena. I also think your parents would love it here, unless you are planning to come in the summer when it is too busy with tourists.
    Here is a link to my Torremolinos page if you are interested in finding out about this wonderful town. Any questions feel free to ask. Lori

"TORREMOLINOS --- COSTA DEL SOL" - Torremolinos by LoriPori

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I, too don't think you should rule out Malaga. We spent a month there during a February a couple of years ago. We rented in apartment in town, not along the coast, in 'a neighbourhood' i.e. not a purpose built holiday complex. You know, I don't remember hearing any English at all..... oh yes, once when we went to the Picasso Museum. And, of course, at the airport both coming and going. As the other poster says, it is a very Spanish town and has a lot of charm and things to do. We occupied ourselves very nicely, both within the town and by taking day trips.

• Re: Where to spend a month in Andalucía?

by tmorlopez Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Hello theenglishway,

If you need a full information sobre your stay in spain, you can visit www.plantriptospain.com

Enjoy Spain and their people

• theenglishway's Profile Photo

by theenglishway Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to go with Sevilla as I found it so beautiful last time, there's lots to do and the accent. Plus it's only like an hour from the coast anyway!

• johnincornwall's Profile Photo

by johnincornwall Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Whoops too late!

Antequera I would suggest.

I agree with others on Malaga - very Spanish. Seville is 'big-city' feel, if you like that sort of thing.

• Re: Where to spend a month in Andalucía?

by Paul300 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Hi!

If that can help you, maybe you can go to Formentera. I've done a few trips to Balears islands and also to the north of Spain. A Spanish travel agency always hepls... send me a private message and I can give you the name.

Paul

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Andalucía Travel Answer Locations