change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• hike wonderlake

Denali National Park and Preserve Apr 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Hello

I want to go to wonderlake for 3 days and take a hike on the backcountry in the south, some of it has t renseingements on southern wonderlake?

thank you

more
    • exit glacir for free

Seward Apr 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Hi, anyone knows if can i hike to te exit glaciar for free , or i must get a guided tour?
      Thanks

more
    • Historic sites in Sitka

Sitka Apr 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Can you hop on and off a bus or other transportation to see the different historic sites?

more
    • travel by air

Nome Mar 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Why aren't there any flights out of Nome in the morning? Tx :)

more
    • Magic Bus - Christopher McCandless

Alaska Mar 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Hi,

My name is Gary and I'm currently looking to book an extended trip to travel across America. One of the locations I would like to visit it The 'Magic' Bus just off the Stampede Trail. When would be the safest time of year to hike out to the bus and are there also any tour guides who would accompany heading out there? I just wanted to check as I would rather not go out alone.

I would be grateful for any information you could give me.

Thanks

Gary

more
    • What Type of Footwear

by victorytwo Online Now Feb 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM

What type of footwear is required to walk around the streets of Anchorage in March for a guy

3 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    • What was the name of the old dance bar down in Spenard, with lighted dance floor?

by MacMomAK Online Now Jan 5, 2014 at 11:29 PM

It was located on a street, past Northern Lights, headed towards the airport, I think. But definitely in Spenard! The street it's on curved abruptly to the right, immediately past the ba if you were driving to it from North Lights. On that right side, was a two-story almost faceless building, once painted off-white, style reminded me of the late 70s: boxy, faceless. It had several names over the years, but in the 90's was always a dance club with a really good sound system, huge dance floor (one upstairs, too I think) and was always packed! Even had a bar out back, too. Was very "rave-like" in the beginning, kinda punk-ish with lots of people sporting wild, colored hair of many hues. Gay, lesbian, bi, straight - it didn't matter! Anyone remember ANY of its names?! HELP? It's driving me bonkers to "see" it in my mind's eye, to remember dancing there and STILL not remember the NAME of the place! Accck!

2 Answers Jan 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    • Fairbanks to Anchorage-typical Delays in October

by gordonsroost Online Now Sep 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM

What are the typical driving conditions from Fairbanks to Anchorage the last few days of October? We have taken the trip via Parks Highway once in the Spring.

4 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM
    • fresh fruit

by lindaes Online Now Jul 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM

can we bring fresh fruit into Alaska from Portland Oregon flight?

11 Answers Jul 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    • Flights out of Anchorage

by Memmog Online Now Jun 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Why do most flights out of Anchorage fly out around midnight?

7 Answers Jul 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    • Train Achorage to Fairbanks

by sjyoung Online Now Mar 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM

We thinking of taking the train to Fairbank in February and are wondering if it would be too boring to o 12 hrs. Has anyone ever done it?

5 Answers Apr 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    • Anchorage Hotel

by Kiwikaren Online Now Jan 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Hi. We are planning on coming to Anchorage on June 12th and departing on June 20th. We are just after some suggestions for a nice quiet comfortable hotel that is not too pricey. We would really appreciate some ideas. Thanks.

2 Answers May 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    • Best Hiking and Sledding Sites - Mid March

by Matt071 Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM

We are planning a trip to the Anchorage area in March and since this is our first time in the area I am looking for some advice on the best place to take my family sledding and hiking. My son is 7 years old and we are very much the outdoor family so we are looking for the hiking/sledding adventure and not just a gentle bunny slope. We are staying on base at Elemendorf and we will set aside two days for a drive, and lots of stops along the way, down to Seward. We were planning a trip around the Flat Top Mountain vicinity/area. We do not mind driving because we love road trips and would mind traveling north but again I am not sure on the best places to go. I was told on another web site that the two books below are great places for information but I am a firm believer in asking locals for advice. Any, assistance would greatly be appreciated.

amazon.com/Hikes-Alaskas-Chu...

amazon.com/55-Ways-Wildernes...

1 Answer Jan 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    • dhaigh's Profile Photo

Traveling to Anchorage on Ferry in Feburary

by dhaigh Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I will be moving to anchorage on the first of feburary. I will be taking the ferry from belligham to whittier. I really like the idea of camping on board but I dont know what to expect. I know you can put a tent up on the deck, but I was wondering if the weather will be to crazy to do this. So if anyone has trveled during this period any ensight would be great.

4 Answers Jan 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    • TLippard's Profile Photo

Anchorage on Sunday evening

by TLippard Online Now Jul 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Hi all. This is a very specific question. We will be arriving in Anchorage on a Sunday afternoon after 4:00pm. Our flight out isn't until 7:00am the following morning.

Is there anything to do in downtown Anchorage on a Sunday evening? Will anything be open? Is there any complimentary shuttles that may run in the evening from the Airport to downtown? I hate to just wander around the airport for 10 hours.

If nothing is open, is downtown photogenic enough to wander and photograph? Any areas to consider besides downtown, understanding that we're limited in transportation and time?

Thanks in advance!!! I hope to report a great trip upon my return!

4 Answers Jul 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    • Need Alaska itinerary help and advice.

by Wyguy Online Now May 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Planning a trip with wife and 26 year old son to Alaska July 19-28. Would like to sightsee and do some fishing. In general, plan to land in Anchorage on 19th and travel to Denali on 20th. Spend 21st in Denali and then head to Valdez and Kenai Peninsula. Lots to see and do and need input on any or all of the following:
      1. Opinions regarding the Denali bus tours.
      2. Travel time (automobile) from Denali to Valdez and are roads paved per rental car requirements?
      3. Is the ferry still operating from Valdez to Whittier and if so is there charge per vehicle or per individual or both. How much are charges?
      4. If one does the ferry from Valdez to Whittier, would it be repetitious to take the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward? (to see wildlife, whales, glaciers, etc.)
      5. Is there more to do or see in Homer vs. Seward vs. Soldotna?
      6. Any thoughts on the best location for a halibut/salmon charter?
      7. Can we do this all in the time allotted?

Many thanks for your opinions!!

6 Answers Jul 9, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    • Anchorage - Day trip suggestions

by visit2010 Online Now May 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hello Travelers!

I am planning do a solo trip to Anchorage for 3/4 days basically to enjoy the nature and scenery. I have heard about Glacier and coastal classic train trips to Whittier/Grandview stations. Is it the way to experience and enjoy the glacier views or should I consider taking a local cruise or a boat? I see that cruise rates are expensive compared to trains. Or is it worth doing a road trip and cruise? Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for the budget hotels and locations to stay, please let me know.

Thank you!

5 Answers May 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    • moving to alaska

by aztoak Online Now Aug 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM

I'm moving to anchorage for work the end of october. I was told that I should take the ferry from Bellingham to Haines and then drive to anchorage. I was going to take the cross gulf ferry to whittier and drive to Anchorage. What is the road like at that time of year? What can I expect the cross gulf ferry to be like then? Is the road from whittier to Anchorage ever closed due to snow? Should I be worried about driving either one? It has been over twenty years since I've driven in snow so a little nervous. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 Answers Sep 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM
    • Car needed? Other tips for ANchorage visit

by Sharon54 Online Now Jun 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Hello all,
      My husband and I will be in Anchorage Aug 5 to 11. We're joining a hiking/geography tour on Aug 11 to Seward and Denali, and more. However, we thought we'd go a few days early -- however, local folks (Massachusetts) are saying that's too many days for Anchorage.

Should we rent a car and plan on finding places to stay for that first several days? Or is being without a car possible and is there enough to do in Anchorage?

Any and all hints welcome! Thank you!

6 Answers Jul 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    • place to stay

by jjdotr Online Now Apr 6, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Where is there a reasonable priced hotel with breakfast or B & B in Anchorage

• October 2010 Trip

by britt15952 Online Now Sep 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM

We are planning to go come to Alaska for our honeymoon in mid October of 2010. I know most 'tourist attractions' have closed by then, which is fine with us. We are going to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle and drive around anchorage, portage, whittier, and seward and would also like to drive up to Fairbanks/chena hot springs/north pole, alaska. Any tips on driving conditions? Is it safe to drive from anchorage to fairbanks in the middle of October?

4 Answers Apr 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    • jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

What to do in a few days in Anchorage, Alaska in May 1st week...

by jumpingnorman Online Now Mar 11, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I will have a little Cinco de Mayo adventure in Anchorage, Alaska (first week of May). Was able to get off work on that week! Anyone with suggestions on what to do, little day trips or just a few hour expeditions? I really just intend to stay in Anchorage only - staying in a friend's condominium. This trip just came up unexpectedly today ----when I was offered to stay at the condominium, I booked the flight, hehehe... Anybody done the 26 glacier tour? Thanks for the suggestions....Greetings from sunny Arizona, jumpingnorman :)

9 Answers Mar 27, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    • Anchorage in March

by bobandwinnie Online Now Dec 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM

(This is also posted on the Alaska forum.) My wife and I will be in Anchorage Mar 19-23, 30-31 and are looking for recommended sites and activities to the south. It has been difficult to find anything specific, as most posted events, trips, etc. operate only from May to September. The CofC in Seward for example just sent us some brochures of what is available in the active season. We will have a car and want to focus on the Kenai, but that is as far as we have progressed. Also, if anyone has recommendations on hotels, lodges in the south (Seward? Homer?) we would appreciate your input. (As info, we have plans to be in Fairbanks and north later in the month to see the Aurora.) Thanks for your help.

3 Answers Feb 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    • Train from Anchorage to Fairbanks

by nrt1179 Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 5:05 AM

I will be in Anchorage in late February, early March '09. We will be taking a train from Anchorage to Fairbanks. I'm not certain of the details yet, but I know it's a 12 hour ride. I am curious if there will be wildlife spottings along the way, any stops to sight see? Or just a boring 12hr ride on a train?

6 Answers Aug 24, 2008 at 7:22 AM
    • karen_mo's Profile Photo

Camping Shops in Anchorage

by karen_mo Online Now May 23, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Hi there,

We will be spending a few days in downtown Anchorage before heading off on a camping trip and we need to buy a few things when we arrive (good quality sleeping bags, MSR tent footprint, backpack, waterproof trousers, camping food etc) I had heard that Anchorage is full of camping supplies shops but I can't find much evidence of this on the internet. Can you confirm whether this is true and do you have any advise on good places we could head for. (or specific streets?)

Many thanks again!

Karen

7 Answers Jun 5, 2008 at 10:48 AM
    • BobandHua's Profile Photo

Anchorage vs Seward for day cruise

by BobandHua Online Now Apr 8, 2008 at 5:38 AM

We're going to be flying into Anchorage spending a few days then onto Seward this July and are a little torn as to what to do & where. Both places look fantastic as bases to see things. We will arrive late on 24th and stay thru the 31st then on to Florida. We live in China and this 1/2 family vacation (Alaska) and half annual family visit (FL).
      Planning so far for Anchorage: Float plane trip to view Bears, Jetboat trip, Stay at B & B (Mangy Moose)

Planning so far for Seward: Kenai Fjords cruise, some easy kayaking, stay at Princess lodge or Fox?? Fox's prices are up there, is it worth it? Princess seemed nice.

Wondering, if we're going to to the Jetboats in ANC is it worth doing the 26 Glacier cruise there too? Keeping in mind that as we live in China we are going to be under some heavy duty jetlag and it might be rough doing too long a day and our 9 year old might not be able to keep up (or we with him more likely) Last year at Yellowstone we were awake at 04:00AM and dead to the world at three in the afternoon.
      Anyone compare the Helicopter to glacier dog sled adventures? Which are better the ones out of Seward or Anc?

Thanks,
      BC
      PS I'll post same in Seward forum

3 Answers Jun 3, 2008 at 11:07 PM
    • Kelli_21's Profile Photo

Anchorage for 5 weeks!!!

by Kelli_21 Online Now Mar 7, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Hi everyone.

I will be in Anchorage for 5 weeks, starting March 18th. I was there for a month last summer, but it seems like almost everything is closed for the season. I would love to do some day-hikes while I am there, something like Flattop. Any suggestions? Also, any fantastic things to do in the city? I went to the museum and a couple of the touristy places, but Im looking for more of a local feel while Im there. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh and anywhere to grab a good beer, please come and join me!

Thanks Kel!

6 Answers Mar 28, 2008 at 11:39 AM
    • short visit to anchorage

by giora111 Online Now Mar 7, 2008 at 5:45 AM

we are 3 couples that booked a cruise from vancouver on princess ship and arrive to wittier on august 4 in the morning. we fly back to israel on august 6 in the afternoon, so we have couple of days to tour around. i would appreciate any suggestions regarding where to go and what to see and where to rent a car that will be big enough for the 6 of us with all the luggage.
      i am especially interested in Denali national park. do i have enough time to get there and see it and return? where should i plan on sleeping the 2 nights?
      thanks for your help
      giora

2 Answers Mar 9, 2008 at 10:57 PM
    • butterfly_girl's Profile Photo

Anchorage for one day

by butterfly_girl Online Now Jun 28, 2007 at 3:35 PM

If I have one day in Anchorage, what are my top things to see and do? Any restaurant suggestions? I can't wait to go....thank you!

6 Answers Oct 12, 2007 at 10:56 PM
    • alaskalinda47's Profile Photo

Wildfire concerns!

by alaskalinda47 Online Now Jun 25, 2007 at 6:26 AM

I am flying into Anchorage tomorrow night. My friend is picking me up at the airport and we were going to head north. Can anyone give me some info on the wildfires between Anchorage and Fairbanks? Thanks all. (Brand new to this forum). Linda

1 Answer Jun 26, 2007 at 5:07 PM
    • Prince William sound flightseeing

by travelbug014 Online Now Jun 8, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Anybody gone flightseeing to Prince William Sound from Anchorage? What are your thoughts/suggestions?

1 Answer Sep 11, 2007 at 4:03 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Getting from North Terminal in Anchorage to South Terminal for access to Car Rental Check-In Counter

by swdke Online Now Jun 8, 2007 at 5:24 AM

I'll be flying into Anchorage on Delta which I understand uses the North Terminal. But, I understand I'll need to get to the South Terminal to get to my car rental which is apparently where the car rental check-in counter is located. I know there is a shuttle bus to take passengers from one Terminal to anohter, but I am wondering if it might just be quicker to walk. With my luck, I'll be walking out the North Terminal just as the bus to the South Terminal departs. So, I figured I may as well just plan on walking to the car check-in counter in the South Terminal. But, is there a walkway from the North/Delta terminal to the car rental counters in the South Terminal? From the Terminal maps on the Anchorage airport web site, they give the impression the two terminals are seperate, but close to each other. The same seems to be the case when viewing the airport from Google Map and Google Earth. Therefore, I was wondering if there is a walkway between the two terminals. Thanks.

3 Answers Jul 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    • tent camping in Chugach State Park

by ldlb Online Now Apr 9, 2007 at 8:03 AM

We are planning an Alaskan trip (first time) and plan to tent camp in Denali,
      Chugach and down along the Seward Hwy. to Seward. We will not be doing any
      backcountry camping, just in camp sites. Please give me some good suggestions
      for good campgrounds - scenery, water, etc. Do most camp sites have grills?
      Other than Denali, will we be able to find a camp site without a reservation
      in July or August? I will appreciate any information and suggestions.

1 Answer Apr 10, 2007 at 1:37 AM
    • Where is the best grocery shopping in Anchorage?

by ldlb Online Now Apr 8, 2007 at 5:59 PM

We plan to stock up on our camping supplies in Anchorage and would like to
      get some good fresh King Crab, halibut,shrimp, beef or bison. Also, fruit and vegetables, etc.
      Fred Meyer has been suggested as good quality and price. Do you agree
      or can you give us better suggestions?
      I appreciate your help.

2 Answers Apr 10, 2007 at 5:54 PM
    • Daytrip SeaKayaking out of Anchorage, Alaska on Aug 10, 2007

by Kkayak Online Now Mar 29, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Would anyone that has plans to be in Anchorage Alaska on Friday Aug 10, 2007 be interested in a day kayaking trip with a local outfitter? I will be there and want to paddle but there are only 2 of us in my group that are interested and at least 4 are needed to reserve a trip. This is rather expensive but looks like a great experience and I'd hate to miss the chance to paddle in Alaska. So I'm just trying out some alternatives to finding others that may be in the same "boat" so to speak. Thanks, Mike

1 Answer Mar 7, 2008 at 5:49 AM