Anchorage Travel Answers

change location

Best Hiking and Sledding Sites - Mid March

by Matt071 Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM

We are planning a trip to the Anchorage area in March and since this is our first time in the area I am looking for some advice on the best place to take my family sledding and hiking. My son is 7 years old and we are very much the outdoor family so we are looking for the hiking/sledding adventure and not just a gentle bunny slope. We are staying on base at Elemendorf and we will set aside two days for a drive, and lots of stops along the way, down to Seward. We were planning a trip around the Flat Top Mountain vicinity/area. We do not mind driving because we love road trips and would mind traveling north but again I am not sure on the best places to go. I was told on another web site that the two books below are great places for information but I am a firm believer in asking locals for advice. Any, assistance would greatly be appreciated.

amazon.com/Hikes-Alaskas-Chu...

amazon.com/55-Ways-Wildernes...

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Re: Best Hiking and Sledding Sites - Mid March

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I have been to Alaska three times in the last fifteen years and always traveled by air, car and bike. Never on a cruise ship. Anchorage is still cold in March and highs average in the mid 30's and nights in the teens. So depending on the day it can be too cold and icy for even a moderately long hike. Good news is that daylight savings time in Alaska begins on March 12th.

However if you wish to hike Flat Top Mountain is a very popular local hike. I have not hiked there. Another popular area is Chugach State Park. There are many, many trails there. I would recommend taking some of the hikes, weather permitting, from the Eagle River Nature Center. The Dew Mound Trail is about 3 miles long goes to a lake and part of a small glacier system. I have been on this trail and I would rate it as easy with one or two climbs.

Here is the link;

dnr.alaska.gov/parks/maps/ea...

While not really a trail I personally like Earthquake Park in Anchorage. Earthquake Park has very short trails but every time I have gone I have always seen a number of moose.

Also the drive to Seward is absolutely gorgeous. There are a lot of stops on the way to get out of the car and see some great scenery. A nice stop on the way to Seward is at the Portage Glacier or at Tern Lake where there is a nice overlook.

Also check the VT pages on Anchorage and Seward. Some good tips although a little out of date.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines